Thread: Carb adjusting

Default Carb adjusting

I rebuilt the carb, set the mixture screw to one turn out and it ran good. However, black smoke was coming out as it never did before under idle. So I turned the mixture screw in to lean it out. As I did the rpm's picked up but the idle didn't change much as far as roughness, it has always idled pretty smooth. I turned out the idle set to drop rpm's and the black smoke disappeared. No problem right, well it seems like the mixture screw is almost all the way in and now I fear I'm too lean. I need help so I don't do damage. Does this indicate a problem with the carb/vacuum?

The mixture screw should not adjust enough to cause black smoke. It reads to me like your float is too high or maybe stuck just a hair.

With it running, look down the carb venturi. You should not be able to actually see any fuel. You might be able to see evidence of fuel vapor, but if you see drops of fuel then you have a problem with the carb.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

If not for the adjusting of the mixture screw, the black smoke would not have gone away. And when I say black smoke, I mean a very faint smoke not heavy but detectable by eye. I don't see any fuel in the venturi, as I did have problems before with overloading. However, I do want to check the float level ASAP via the "economizer" valve on top of the bowl.