Thread: E-Brake J-Bolt

Default E-Brake J-Bolt

It has been almost 5 years since the last time I removed an E-Brake band from a t-case while it was in the truck. So, when Agengr was over today working on his M715. I was kind of at a loss for helping him change out the band. I called Pistolnut who changed his out a few times a year or so ago. The first thing he tells me is "Hey, I called you to find out how to do it" I told him that I remember that, but can't remember what I told him.

What I told him last year and what he told me today is also what worked. The J-bolt will come out if you push it toward the front of the truck and toward the passenger side a little at the same time.

Having a long punch and a hammer doesn't really hurt either. It is a very tight fit, but it does come out without raising the cab, cutting a hole in the floor or unbolting the T-Case.

Just wanted to pass this along since this question comes up every few months and I haven't seen it in a while.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Thanks Tim!!!

I dunno, man... I loosened the t'case cross member about 3/8" or 1/2" (as much as I could without having to worry about it falling on me!) and it was still a biatch-and-a-half to get that bolt out. So for future reference, you were able to do it without even loosening the cross member, eh? Wow....

But you used a punch to get it out, didn't you say? So you haven't put it back IN yet. Okay. Post up about it when you do!
    -- Tim Taylor

Taking it out went like this. We were able to push it to within a few threads of being all the way into the hole. (This is with the brake band undone everywhere else except for the J-bolt) I put an open end wrench on the loop at the top and tried taping it with a hammer and could never get a good swing. Then we used a punch on the threaded end to get it out.

The punch wandered into the threads at some point so I ran a die over them to make sure they would work again.

Putting it back in was a lot easier. We could start the J-bolt into the hole, but not get it to go through. I got under the transmission and ran the 12" long punch over the top of the T-case. Agengr placed the punch end on the loop of the J-bolt and I used the handle of a hammer to hit the punch. Three wacks and the bolt was in with no damage.

That make sense?
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Perfect sense! Wow... That's pretty clever, guys!
    -- Tim Taylor

Yeah, seems impossible. I made a bunch of assembly errors with mine and had it apart and back together several times. Once you beat it into submission the first time, it goes pretty easily after that. Seriously, once you get it to do it the first time, however long that takes, its pretty easy after that.