Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: D60, spring UNDER info,

Default D60, spring UNDER info,

I remember that one of our members did this, is there any info like about going spring over? Pic's, write up, the more I look at this the more it looks like THE way to go. Your,.02?????????

Lee did his spring under. Are you asking about under or over?

Under. It was Lee, now I remember, he sold his truck I think. Did he do a write up on it? It seems to be the best way to go for me, I shouldn't think near as many problems. I can still put 38" 's on it. Unless I'm not seeing something, it looks to be easier to put the perches on, and no drive shaft issues.

Yeah, Lee had spring under with his D60. He also sold his truck, and he probably did a bunch of write ups regarding spring under and his whole truck, but you won't find any of that info on this board. You might try searching steel soldiers and see if he posted any info about it over there. Unfortunately, he deleted everything he ever posted, when he left this board (the board before the PsuedoZone) a while ago.

What info are you looking to find? What kind of problems are you expecting to run into with spring over, versus spring under like you are planning on doing? You might be able to keep the stock d-shaft, assuming your not going to mess with the NP200. Other than that, you'll keep close to the stock height of the 715.
    68 M-715
    67 M-725

Well stock lets you run 38", and it looks as if you will not have to do a lot of grinding on the center section. Just kinda looking for the pros and cons, and this IS the place for info on these trucks!

I did mine spring under. I built it so I could easily do either (I also have hi-steer arms installed, but the TR is on the lower arms).

Here is a link to my pics on it:
    http://www.sjmembers.com/gallery/vie...lbumName=Axles

You can see how I did the pads...

I would ask myself how tall do you need it? I have seen these rigs get ALOT of places with spring under. It was brought up at the 06 F.E. how much a spring over would change the C.O.G. I have not froaded in a spring over rig, so I can only speculate, but I'd hate to have done all the work for a spring over only to be unhappy with it. I say wheel it as is first, and if you need more lift, go for it.

I run both spring over and spring under on two trucks and there isn't much performance difference, but a lot of aesthetics. However, I run 36" and 39" tall tires on each respectively, so I'm gaining only about 1" of pumpkin clearance on the spring over. I do however notice a big difference in the grip performance between the two trucks, but that has to do with the skinny 36's and the fat 39's. I'd select a tall, skinny tire any day over a wide, fat one.

I suspect that if I were running a maximum sized tire, like 44's with the spring over truck, I'd achieve the performance benefit desired with such a modification. But I already feel, and likely look, like a big, immature, low self-esteemed idiot on the road with the 39's.

It doesn't help that the normal, off-the-shelf tall tire is usually a wide, fat balloon either...maybe it won't look so silly when I get the XZL's mounted.

Well with the S U A set up I'm THINKING less driveline, steering issues. The truck is tall enough as is for all but 'Hard Core Wheeling'. But the axle up grade, as has been stated before, is worth every cent, brake wise, wheel wise, and so and so. And as was said, you can go S O A later if you find you 'need' more room. Thanks, Guys.

Quote Originally Posted by airborne View Post
    But the axle up grade, as has been stated before, is worth every cent, brake wise, wheel wise, and so and so.
    If you'll ever consider selling it, the axle upgrade is a waste of money. Most folks buy them because they're unique, and not to "competition" off-road in them.

I can grind the shat out of these stockers and stop on a dime. I suppose that if I ever did some hardcore "Moab" rocking, then I might break something or require extra breaking.
    Last edited by Binford; June 1st, 2007 at 11:03 PM. Reason: Fixed the quote