Thread: M715 Swap Questions - Newbie

Default M715 Swap Questions - Newbie

Hey Everyone-
    I've had an M715 for some time now, but with family and work, that project got shelved for awhile. But now I want to finally get going on it. I'd like to swap in a Cadillac 472 or 500 along with the TH400 that backed the engine, but I have some questions. Like the new motor mounts: can they be welded to the frame (I know some frames on some vehicles should not be welded to - is the M715 frame one of those)? What about the 24Vsysytem - how do you convert to a 12V (buy a Gladiator wiring harness or something)? And what about my Braden winch - what will power that once I swap out the stock stuff (I'd like to keep it if at all possible, to maintain that stock appearance out front)? and what about cooling - what would I do radiator-wise?
    I know this is probably something I should post on Modified tech, but wanted some feedback from you all. Thanks, in advance, for any advise!
    Dave

Hey Dave, I'm certainly no expert but I'll try to answer some of your questions if I can. Yes it's possible to put in just about anything that will fit engine wise. You'll have to do some cutting, grinding and pound on something with a BFH (Thanks Binford) eventually. I've heard of a couple of guys using the Caddy engine but you'll have to do a considerable amount of experimental fabrication to get everything just right. The easiest and most common swap is of course the Chevy 350 and lots of tech support for that is available here.

You can weld motor mounts to these frames, there is plenty of good sturdy metal throughout the frame.

I'd say the easiest way to convert to 12v is to just buy one of the aftermarket kits from "Painless" or one similar. I did and I'm currently installing it now. Not too hard really.

Don't know anything about your winch, sorry.

As for the cooling system, it is possible to do some light modification to the radiator support to gain a few inches latteraly and again depending on the engine you go with I'm sure you can find one to fit. I just put one in from a 67 Chevelle 396 and it just slid right in without any mods necessary.

I guess it depends on what your desired result is, how much money you're willing to spend and the amount of time you wish to devote to it.

Hi, Dave! Welcome aboard....

I'm going to move this to the Modified board just because the guys who might best be able to address your questions would most definitely see it.

Your winch runs off a PTO on the stock transmission. I don't know that you could run the stock winch with the TH400. But you could sell the winch and pretty much have enough from that sale to buy a 12k# electric winch.

Saxon, another Zoner here in Seattle, is putting in a Caddy 500 in his and has addressed most of the issues you are facing. You might want to PM him with some questions if he doesn't chime in here.
    -- Tim Taylor

Hi Dave, I'm running a cad 500 out of a eldo. because of the rear oil pan sump. I used the eldo. motor mounts, and modified(added to) perches. I cut the perches off flush to the caddy frame, put the right on the left side of the eng and visa versa, I flopped the drivers side because of the way it was shaped, it has to clear the steering rod. I'm running a modified t-18/t-98(orig) stick trans, so the long bellhousing dictated why the motor sits so far forward. If I were to do it over again? Use the caddy turbo 400 case and get a chev 4wd turbo 400/205 t-case and have them combined from a tranny shop and run it that way, then find a PTO that fits the 205, lengthen and snake the longer pto driveline to mate the winch. Presto!!! Get rid of that 200 t-case, I would'nt go divorsed again, place the eng back to the firewall as close as you can, they fit well, use the rear wheel drive caddy exh. manifolds. All this my .02, already changed my mind midstream about a half doz. times. Dan