Thread: POR 15 - Local Substitute???

Default POR 15 - Local Substitute???

I have my frame almost completely painted in POR 15, and my can is bone dry, is there a comparable substitute I can get locally to finish up the last 12-14 square inches left on the frame???
    James G.

None that I'm aware of but then I dont use POR anymore. I use Eastwood Rust Encapsulator. POR is great but the topcoating issues are...well an issue. The whole rust system from Eastwood kicks butt-but so do most of the products Eastwood sells.

Default Who carries it?

Do any of the big box home repair places carry the Eastwood brand??
    James G.

The Eastwood stuff is awsome, I used the rust encapsulator and chassis black on my CJ and it has held up awsome.

I am not sure but I think you can only get it though them.

There is also zero rust that seems to work well. I have not used it but would like to try it. I have used POR 15 and its ok. The top coat issue is just that, more work (like everybody says). My wagoneer will get the interior coated with something. I need to decide on something soon. It's going to be sweet.

There is one other similar product who's name escapes me at the moment. If I remember I'll post up. (Not likely )
    Liz, covid, murdered 10/19/21

Hey, Rumple... I've seen small cans of the POR 15 at some auto parts stores. Sounds like you just want to finish up the little bit that's left rather than have to deal with compatibility issues, etc. Might check the parts houses around town....
    -- Tim Taylor

Mar-hyde (spelling might be off) has been making some similar stuff for a really long time. I have used it on jeep frames a couple times and it is some pretty cool stuff. If you have just light surface rust it turns it purple on the first coat and then black on the second coat. Looks like milk in the bottle it comes in (quarts I think). It gets warm as it's doing it's thing and it is not like paint I took a screw driver to it to see how tough it was and it wouldn't scratch off... Cost like $15 a quart or liter or whatever size it is sold in and you can normally find it at napa. I don't have a bottle laying around now to get the name off it though sorry.

Sounds just like the stuff 40Grit gave to Jpete for his M37. (That M37 I had, by the way, gang, was Jpete's all along. A gift for a remarkable g'friend who actually enjoys stuff like the idea of making a daily driver out of a 55-year-old beat up Dodge army truck! Now that she knows about it, I can fess up.)

So, is that the stuff, Gritty? Spendy if it is, eh?! But Pete says it's holding up just fine! (He poured it all over the rusty/dirty bed and sort of brushed it around with something. Turned purplish/black.)
    -- Tim Taylor

Far as I know you can only get Eastwood Products thru them-Always ships quick-good products but if you do have issues they are pretty good at taking care of you.

I looked and found a old bottle of the Mar-hyde stuff and it's called One Step and it was a quart bottle. I poured it in a mason jar and applied it with a brush. Seems if I remember right it ruined the brush. Aaron876 or whatever his handle is has my old M715 maybe he can chime in to say how it's holding up. I plan on doing my current frame one of these days but it's not bad and not a priority right now. There is also some stuff sold at home depot. I tried it one time and it wasn't worth anything (been better off using 49cent k-mart spray paint).