Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weekend Project: Drivetrain Swap

Default Weekend Project: Drivetrain Swap

Everyone is going out of town for the holiday weekend except for me = 3 uninterupted days of work on the 715!

I'm pulling out the stock engine/tranny and replacing it with a sbc 350 and a rebuilt 2wd 700r4. I also have a np205 to install after I get through the engine/transmission.

I'm new to this and have a few questions.

I read on a previous post about using a CV joint to connect the transmission and the divorced transfer case. Are there any opinions on going this route vs. moving the engine/tranny forward and using the stock/modified jack shaft? If I do use a CV joint is there a specific car/application that I can get one from, or would I be calling a shop to special order one?

I have a bolt on engine mount kit. Any opinions on using this vs. the spicer plates (other than the cost difference)?

What is the best way to go about ensuring the engine/tranny is correctly lined up in the chassis and with the divorced transfer case?

Thank you for any and all help/opinions, it is greatly appreciated!

Jay

If you plan on taking out the fan schroud(sp?) Maddawg could use it/ buy it. I have yet to swap out my driveline so I can't answer your questions. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by gimpyrobb View Post
    If you plan on taking out the fan schroud(sp?) Maddawg could use it/ buy it. I have yet to swap out my driveline so I can't answer your questions. Sorry.
    Thanks, I'll keep that in mind although mine is missing a chunk on the drivers side. When I get everything out I'll take pictures and post on the for sale forum.

Jay I need the threaded rod that goes from the torque tube to the clutch fork, can I make you an offer on just that piece? And I have your tracings on the way.Thanks

I'm no mechanic (but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express the other night), but I believe the CV joint was for mismatched angles. If you can line it up as it was stock, you could use the stock jackshaft, couldn't you?

Enjoy your weekend, man!
    -- Tim Taylor

That is correct... I should of stayed there too!!
    Go Ahead, Make my day

We both could have drunk more if you had!
    -- Tim Taylor

About the CV joint, what you may have read about was using just this piece of a CV joint to make a very short driveshaft.
    Joe/IA has used one in his truck for 15 years with no problems. It just depends on what you need for spacing between the transmission and transfer case. Joe needed it because his 454/700R4 combination was moved as far back as possible to create more room in front of the motor. If you're using swap kit mounts they will determine the length of shaft needed.

Default Weekend Swap

So Jay the swap is all done right!!

Quote Originally Posted by hewl35 View Post
    So Jay the swap is all done right!!

I wish it was! Turns out I didn't have the weekend to myself. My neighbor was in a pinch and needed some help last weekend, and I couldn't pass it up.

I did get the engine/tranny out and have the replacement hanging from the engine hoist inside the truck right now. I have a question for you guys.

I have been told that I need to make sure the engine is level, both side to side and front to back. I can manuever the engine and use a level on the intake to get it all level. But the truck is parked in my driveway which is not level side to side or front to back. I tried checking the truck in various places to see how level it is but I get a different result in each spot.

Where/how should I check to see how level the truck is? And then get that to match up with the engine?

Thanks for any advice you all can pass along.

Jay