Thread: Pics of PS ram assist

Default Pics of PS ram assist

Sorry it took an extra day to get these posted but something came up...
    Anyway RPG heres some closer shots of the mountings I did with Bob Cowans ram assist "kit".

First is the main mount, located One inch exactly from the joint between the pumpkin and the axle.

Next is the other end, before welding it I first extended the ram fully and measured/marked the exact midpoint and then retracted it in to that mark. That became the "fix" length for determining the attachment point and then I welded it.

The last pic is of the whole thing which, by the way, is dead level with the tie rod just in front of it. Then I smoked it down with "German Torque", (you know..."Guten-Tite" haha.) so nothing would move around.

The midpoint turned out to be 4" so I would think full travel, lock to lock, would be 8".

I won't be able to test this for awhile, Bob is making a steering box, drilled/tapped for me as we speak.Hope this is worthwhile to anyone who is going to or has plans to do one of these.

Any ideas or coments before I start closing all this stuff in w/sheet metal?
    Last edited by fng; May 22nd, 2007 at 09:33 PM. Reason: left out one pic

Thank you, I appreciate the pictures. It looks good to me, although I've never installed hydro assist, I'm still in the planning stages of wanting to do this on my rig. So its just nice to see examples of other setups. Mine will be a tad bit different though. I'll be using some different mounts, and I won't be using a PS box.
    68 M-715
    67 M-725

FNG,good install..... now cut the bolts off with a cut off tool , leave 3-4 threads out of top lock nut.personally i put the nuts on the bottom for looks. jmo.
    bob

Good pics and write up!!

I noticed the stock frame corner brace welds were bubble gumed just like mine. I actually thought those were added on by some rooky 110v welder. I guess if I cut them off, clean it up and rebuild it, it wouldn't be original anymore!!
    Go Ahead, Make my day

I know, huh? It makes me wonder if they did all the welding with an Arc welder? Did they even have mig and tig back when these were made?
    Anyway, all the factory welds I have messed with so far on this truck have been "Solid as Sears" with no evidence of failure, impending or otherwise. In fact I'm kinda glad some are a little sloppy, makes mine fit right in...haha.