Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 14 bolt drum + 715 springs?

Default 14 bolt drum + 715 springs?

Ok,

We've got the 14 bolt sitting under the truck. Going to finish up welding the perches on this weekend.

The backing plates look TIGHT.

Is anyone running a 14 bolt with drums on their truck?

That 14 bolt disk thread got me thinking.

Jason

Jason

It has been posted several times by people playing with that swap that the drums wont clear in the rear. I think the disc setup even requires some work with the caliper angle to get it on and to clear...one member at least mounted the rear calipers upside down.

thanks, new search function helps out a bunch. now

What gets me is the 14 bolt we have , the drum/backing plates DO clear the springs. Not by much, but they do. I'll know better by the end of tomorrow.

Jason

I remember talk of a "standard" width and a much desired 4 inch "wider" width axle...though I dont know the applications on those.

i have a dana 70 rear out of a 78 chevy dually and its measurements are almost identical to the factory dana 70 out of the m715. now i just need money for gears, locker, brakes, blaa, blaa, blaa. but when its done it will be nice.
    M715,s..are a mans jeep...

Spent the afternoon measuring. 14 bolt is 52" between the plates and the pads are 49.75" wide. The 715 springs/pads sit at 52.5" max. The flange width for both appears to be about the same at 55", but the 14 bolt plates roll back first from the flanges about an inch, then lumps and rolls it's way back at the outer edge to the above noted 52". Just a smaller drum/less convoluted backing plate would cure the cklearance problem entirely. Only needs a quarter inch on each side.

ok, that sounds like mine. Almost looks like it will fit, but likely won't. The 14bolt needed a brake overhaul anyway, and I hate working on drums

Jason

Just a thought, If any of you guys are like me, your always looking at how things are built. That rolled edge, is for what, help keep the backing plate from distorting when the brakes are applied? Maybe its possible to remove the raised area around the dia. and design and build a set of gussets that reinforce the backing plate. Several ideas come to my mind even as I type this. I have seen drum brake systems that are open on the backing plate side. That would even help clean out the mud after wheeling.
    I would try it, if I was trying to save a few bucks and didnt need discs in the rear, heck to me it sounds easier to adapt over to that, then to switch to discs if you dont have the parts.
    Dont get me wrong this is just a thought, I have not done this, and there may be something Im missing, Knowing me, something real simple. Just an idea on how to get the room needed for the springs to flex, the axle to fit with drums, and the backing plate to keep the strength so as not to flex and reduce the force on the drum when applied.
    One more thing, an important thing, do the drums extend beyond the backing plate surface when installed? If so this is all for nothing but wasted time. Unless it was very minor and one had a lathe and trimmed off the very least of the drum lip. Something I dont think I would do. Off the top of my head the drums I have seen are balanced near this area, and this is an area where the drum gets most if not all of its strength.
    Again just thinking. Good luck

I'd have to go look again to be sure but I am fairly certain the drums do not extend past the plates. I was thinking along the same lines regarding trimming the plates and figured it might be necessary to take some off the drum edge with a lathe. I was thinking more along the lines of simply notching the plates to clear the springs, since actual spring deflection at that point would be minimal anyway.

OTOH, seems to me it would be about as easy at that point to just buy the brackets and throw discs on it and call it done.

If you are set on using the 14 bolt rear, keep your eyes open for one out of a van. They will fit great, and will have enough clearence for the u bolts.