Thread: dana 70's lockers the same?

Default dana 70's lockers the same?

i have a chance to buy a used dana 70 locker. it IS 23 spline. are all 23 spline dana 70 lockers the same? the guy that has it sez it won't work with 5:86 gears and thinks it will only fit 4:10 and down. i haven't seen this question asked before. anybody know for sure? it's a bargin if it will work on my stock rear dif.
    thanks, clueless

First off, outta curiosity, what brand of locker is it?

Now to address your question:

There are two different types of carriers. There is a 4.10 and down, and a 4.56 and up. The two are physically different sizes. If his locker is truly a 4.10 and down locker, then the M-715's 5.88 R&P will not bolt to it, and you cannot use it. Try to verify what type of carrier this locker is.
    68 M-715
    67 M-725

Is it not the case where the ring gear will bolt to it but the gears cannot be set up at all because the 5:87's require a 4 series carrier. If a 70 is the same as a 60, 4:10 gears require a 3 series carrier or diff. I'm setting up a front dana 60 in my wagoneer right now with 4:10's mounted on a 3 series Powr-Loc.

If you take a 3 series carrier and a 4 series carrier and set them side by side with the ring gear casting down you will see about a 3/16th difference in height of the machined surface the ring gear bolts to between the two carriers. That step is why 3 and 4 series gears and differential's won't work together.

Hopefully he is talking about a Powr-Loc. They are one of the best. Been around for 35 years.
    Liz, covid, murdered 10/19/21

IIRC, most Dana 70's have a 0.626" pinion offset, while ours (as most old D70's do) have 0.5".

Yeah, thats another thing to worry about, pinion offset. Its either 5/8" (.625) or 1/2" (.5). Does anyone know what it is for sure, is this in writing anywhere?

I remember coming across this question when I was putting a Power Lock in my D70. Whatever the offset is, luckily the case I found had the same offset.

Without some more info, hard to say if this is a Power Lock, an open carrier with the lunchbox style Detroit in it, or some other locker carrier.
    68 M-715
    67 M-725

Quote Originally Posted by osut362 View Post
    i have a chance to buy a used dana 70 locker. it IS 23 spline. are all 23 spline dana 70 lockers the same? the guy that has it sez it won't work with 5:86 gears and thinks it will only fit 4:10 and down. i haven't seen this question asked before. anybody know for sure? it's a bargin if it will work on my stock rear dif.
    thanks, clueless
    05/12/07...1645...it's a power lock