Thread: Brake plunger rod

Default Brake plunger rod

My new (reman) vette M/C did not come with a plunger rod. Will my old one, originally from the single res., work alright with the new M/C? I'm in the shop as we speak working on this install. Thanks, T

At least one member has said it works fine as is...others have said that it is too short and needs to be lengthened by...I think...about ½ inch or so...

Hmmm. should I go get a longer plunger or can I weld something up and it'll work? Kinda guessing here.

What Spicer did on his was to cut the rod in the middle, lay it in a piece of angle iron with a gap of the right length between the cut points...then weld everything to the angle iron...

That works if you know the length precisely.

You could cut the middle, thread them and put a piece of threaded rod between...this way one could adjust the length to get it "just right"...probably have to cut out an inch or more and use coupler nuts so one would have enough length to get it right...

I know both methods have been done succesfully.

Make sense? Wish I had a pic...

I just thought of this too...once you get it adjusted where you want it with the coupler nut method, weld the nuts in place so it doesnt back off over time...that could get nasty...

Hmmmm, good idea about the threaded insert....may just have to go that route. I'll see what happens when I start bleeding the sys. and will post the results. Thanks Jon.

No sweat...just passing along others info...hope it works...make sure to post up with them nice pics you take!!