Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spare Tire Carrier

Question Spare Tire Carrier

Where is everyone putting there spair at?

In the bed, under the bed, on the cage? Has anyone fabricated a swingout tire carrier for the rear of the truck?

I would like to save as much of the bed as possible for cargo, so I am just seeing what everyone has done.

Thanks

Matt

The stock underbed spare tire carrier works great for those with stock sized tires.

37" and up tires won't fit though. Several have moved the round crossmember forward a little and made the oversized tires fit just fine in there.

Others have had mounts welded to the side of the bed and all kinds of other places.

A full size Bronco swing out carrier will almost bolt right up to the back of the bed if you wanted to go that route.

I have on board air, so I just carry a spare tube and tire tools.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Since you want as much bed space as possible, this might not work for you. I planned on putting my spare where it is for a while. I purposely bought the bed box short like that so my spare would fit. Here are some pics.

68 M-715
    67 M-725

Do you have an oversized spare? If so, here's the link to what Fisherman did moving that round crossmember (actually removing it and replacing it with substantially more beef).

fisherman : Xl spare tire mounting with pictures

That mounted XL spare is simply too heavy to lift into the bed. This is THE way to go for that, IMHO. Provided you don't have other stuff under there already, of course.
    Last edited by brute4c; December 3rd, 2011 at 01:07 PM. Reason: fixed link
    -- Tim Taylor

RPGD, that looks freakin nice! I might have to get a 715 someday.

Getting a XL out from under the truck in a mud puddle, and drowning there with it on my chest isn't for me! It goes in the bed! .02

I am pretty sure it will go in the bed, just not sure where yet gona have to see what I have for room after the fuel cell,tool box and jump seats. I was thinking swing out carrier but I am not sure how that will look.

Thanks guys .

Matt

I both like and dislike the idea of a swing-out carrier located at the tailgate. With the big wheels and tires, this carrier would have to be beefy and the support side anchors should be beefed-up at the body corner.

I would think that one would want to distribute the weight with one of those nifty deals that slides into a receiver hitch. As an example, most older, high mileage CJ's don't carry the tire on the rear anymore, because it tears the sheet metal at the "swing" side/anchors from the body. In my case, I once looked in the rear view mirror on I-80 and watched my spare bouncing down the interstate. The boxed design stock carrier holding the spare had sheared.

I've got a notion to re-mount mine outside the bed and along side the front passenger side (opposite the fuel canister) with a radius "cup" welded underneath for additional support. I'll have to check visibility issues/problems first.

If I were to do a swing out it would be bumper mounted, and it would have to be beefy.

I have been thinking this one over too and was looking at putting one of the big tire carriers like a 5 ton tractor in the bed at the front but you might be able to fix one that fastened to a brace or nerf bar along the passenger side for support.