Thread: altenator for 230 engine

Default altenator for 230 engine

Have 69 m715 ,has 230 engine but electrical system was converted from 24volts to a 12 volt system. altenator is shot.want to replace it with one that has regulator built in. need suggestions on replacement how mnay amps needed for 230 engine? is there a univerial type that will fit or is there a vechical that has one that is workable? apprechate any help you guys have been great in the past.

thanks
    Capt Bluto

Mine was shot when I got my truck too. They had rigged up a 12v that wasn't working. I got a 1 wire 24v alt for just under 100 bucks. It is 100amp, which isn't needed, but I have had no troubles since. I will get the part# when I get home tonight.

All 12 volt?

If so any 12v GM one wire would "run the truck" plus headlights and etc. Not much of a load unless you start adding accessories. I'd go for a 60amp factory reman, should be able to find one for less than $100, probably more like $70-80
    This post is closed-captioned for the hearing impaired.

I am running a GM one in my truck. I think I payed $30.00 at Auto zone.
    Brute has a pic of it,I mounted it in the stock location.Not purty but it works.
    Redneck1
    Tree, WHAT Tree officer?

Well its a Delco-remey, but I didn't see a part # anywhere. Will look harder tomorrow.

Is it tomorrow yet?
    -- Tim Taylor

No, too close to Aberdeen, not enough time to take it out.

Ya I'm waiting to gimpy. Sounds great!

Pretty much if you walk into any auto parts store and tell them you need an alternator for a '76 Chevy truck with a 350 engine you will get what you need. That same model is what I used to get an almost perfect fit upper radiator hose on the way to the Texas FE last fall in the middle of nowhere.

You are basically looking for a Delco 10si 12 V alternator with a V groove pulley. They normally come based at 60 amps and can be as high as 100+. Get a pig tail for it when you buy it. A simple relay is what I use to wire it up.

Now, post above mentioned single wire alternators. they are just modified versions of what I just wrote about. They will cost a bit more. But, the stock 715 wiring works great with a standard 3 wire alternator if you add a relay. Let us know what you get and wiring tips will follow depending on the model you end up with.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw