Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Brownie anyone?

Default Brownie anyone?

Well isn't this just my luck. I was planning on installing that vintage Warn Overdrive that Saxon was going to put in his truck. Mate that behind my T-98 and have a direct drive or selectable .75:1 overdrive. Well, this weekend I was offered a "Brownie", or more technically a Spicer 5831 auxiliary transmission. This one has a 2:1 underdrive, a direct drive, and a .73:1 overdrive. So what do you guys think? Stick with the Warn Overdrive for simplicity, or go with the Brownie and have fun trying to make it fit in the drivetrain? Wanna hear your opinions, although I think I've already made up my mind.
    68 M-715
    67 M-725

put them on a scale and which ever one is the heavyist is the strongest

I have no doubt in my mind that the brownie would take everything I could throw at it (or at least everything the 230 could muster ), and although I've seen the insides of the Warn OD, I'm not sure how it would fair. I probably underestimate the Warn OD, it has a healthy planetary gear setup inside.
    68 M-715
    67 M-725

I just found a post on Pirate4x4.com, by Hewl35, that says he has a M-725 with a Brownie in it. I hope he see's this thread, I want to see pics of his setup.
    68 M-715
    67 M-725

I would say Warn for simplicity, but the extra options of the "brownie"! I know I would try to put the brownie in. They were used in much larger trucks than ours, so strength is of no concern. RPGD, if you want more reading(not 4x4 related, just history) about the brownie, shoot me a pm.

Thank you gimpyrobb for the link, http://www.6066gmcguy.org/spicer-5831-b.htm, I had seen this site before. Although its the only info and pictures I've been able to find on the brownie. I would really like to find some pics of these things actually installed in rigs, as I still haven't quite figured out how to make it fit into the 715's drivetrain. This will be a fun challenge. Gotta love the PTO port on each side, oh the possibilities.
    68 M-715
    67 M-725

Quote Originally Posted by BCOWANWHEELS View Post
    put them on a scale and which ever one is the heavyist is the strongest
    Huh???

Ok I saw your email. I don't have any pictures of the truck anymore or the truck itself. As far as durability these things were in dump trucks, wreckers, and semi tractors. When I installed mine I removed the transfer case and replaced it with a 205. The mount was pretty straight forward to build, make it similar to the transfer case mount. I spaced the brownie from the transmission and transfer case so the jack shafts were of equal length. The front driveshaft was 5 feet long so I made it a two piece affair. The rear driveshaft was short and had i think a double caradan. All the ujoints were 1350 series. I twin sticked the 205 so I had a mess of levers poking up through the floor. Also I had two pto's for winches. If I remember right use two 205 pto's. I got the pto's new from a chemical truck place in Des Moines, IA. Do a search on ebay for pto and they will turn up.

No problem, try the guys over at

http://www.stovebolt.com/bboard/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi

They have'em in thier trucks, someone might have pics.

Email? I didn't send you an email Hewl35. Anyway, thank you very much for the info. Glad to hear somebody has done this. I'm not sure how, or if I even can, but I would like to marry one connection, either trans to aux-trans, or aux-trans to xfercase, in order to cut down on the length. I know I'll have to move my xfercase back no matter what, its just a matter of trying to reduce that distance. I'll have to deal with that more once I get a better look at this aux. transmission.

So what engine and axles/axle ratio did you run? Once everything was installed, how did you like it? Was your brownie synchroed or not? Even if it isn't synchroed, I should still be able to utilize both transmissions while driving, granted I properly shift the Brownie (I've driven non synchroed trucks before). Did you do this, or just select a range in the Brownie and then drive with the main transmission?

Thank you for all your info. I appreciate it.
    68 M-715
    67 M-725