Thread: Hey Beast

Default Hey Beast

I checked out the links that are always with your posts and I was wondering what's the story with the Duce commo/shop truck and the m37 commo truck?
    Zone holster maker

Those are pics of my father while stationed with the 313 Army Security Agency out of Bragg in the early 60's.

This pic is at Bragg in late 62' as they were getting ready to head to Key West Fl. to monitor Cuba during the missle crisis. It's an Stuebaker gasser with a comm shelter stuffed with survalence gear. Note the the unit numbers on the front bumper is taped over. This was to prevent the Cubans from knowing which unit was done there monitoring them.

This one is of his truck on Sugarloaf Key. The comm shelter was packed full of radio gear and had the 2 extendable towers. There was only room for one operator in the back at a time and his team would take turns in shifts. He did tell me that if you slide the chair just right you could curl up on the floor and sleep for a couple of hours. The shelter locked from the inside so your replacement would have to knock to gain entrance, so nobody could find you asleep on post. Because there was no base there, they put them up in a local hotel. He and a couple of other guys in his company went together and bought a boat and use to go fishing and waterskiing during thier down time. He loved it so much there that they have retired to the Keys and now live only 2 islands up from where he was stationed.

Dave
    1967 Kaiser Jeep M715 weapons carrier:http://www.davidallenracing.com/M715.htm
    1967 Kaiser Jeep M35a2 2.5 ton cargo truck: http://www.davidallenracing.com/M35A2.htm
    Delta Team Decals: http://www.i2k.com/~schwarzd/

You've probably told the story before... but for us noobies, thank you, that was great with the pictures.
    Go Ahead, Make my day

Thanks for the info. Those are great pictures. I love the 3" round mirrors for the duce. I bet he couldn't see squat out of those when the truck was running down the road. Hence why the army finialy went to west coast mirrors in the late 70 or early 80's.

If you ever get another MV you sould make it a commo truck to honor your father. Late 62 would have been like around Oct during the Cuban Missle Crissis. I should know my initials aren't JFK for nothing having been born in the middle of it...

Thanks for sharring with us.
    Zone holster maker

Quote Originally Posted by k8icu View Post
    Thanks for the info. Those are great pictures. I love the 3" round mirrors for the duce. I bet he couldn't see squat out of those when the truck was running down the road. Hence why the army finialy went to west coast mirrors in the late 70 or early 80's.

If you ever get another MV you sould make it a commo truck to honor your father. Late 62 would have been like around Oct during the Cuban Missle Crissis. I should know my initials aren't JFK for nothing having been born in the middle of it...

Thanks for sharring with us.
    It must have been imposible to back up with those little mirrors!

As far as using his unit numbers on a vehicle, that's what I used on my 715 when I restored it. The 313 ASA is the only still active ASA unit left and has been active from the early 60's on through today. So I figured they must have had at least one 715 sometime during all those years. I was going to mark my deuce with the same unit until I found the original unit numbers on it, which were for the 2/107 which is out of Stow, OH which was right down the road from Kent State where I wasted my collage years sitting in a bar called Ray's.

I'll have to dig some more, but I should also have some decent pics of him with an M38a1 they used a lot. He loves to tell the story of running the daily classified reports up US1 to the base at Homestead FL. in a 38a1 and they would draft in behind Grayhound busses that would pull them along at 60 mph. Well as he was nearing Homestead the Jeep started knocking real bad from the 60 mph run so he pulled into a gas station just off base and bought a quart of oil and added it to the motor. He then pulled it right into the motorpool and reported "it was making a strange sound" The motorpool sargent came out flew the hood and pulled the dipstick. But it was full, so he said they would drive it on around back and take a look at it while he filed his reports. The sarge got in and started to drive it around the building and it threw a rod right through side of the block. Dad just kept on walking, but had one heck of a smile on his face as he did. Becasue it was full of oil when the sarge checked it they couldn't blame dad for the blow up.

What's funny though is when we got to parades, dad insists on driving the deuce.

Dave
    1967 Kaiser Jeep M715 weapons carrier:http://www.davidallenracing.com/M715.htm
    1967 Kaiser Jeep M35a2 2.5 ton cargo truck: http://www.davidallenracing.com/M35A2.htm
    Delta Team Decals: http://www.i2k.com/~schwarzd/