Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shorten the Wheelbase?

Default Shorten the Wheelbase?

We have an extra 68' M715 that wants to live at deercamp. We're gonna run it with tube doors, no top, windshield down, and a roll bar! We want to bob the rearend and cut about 15 inches out of the middle of the frame. It looks like a cut in front of the rear spring hanger and another cut at the front bed bracket wouldnt be hard to put back together. Might have to move the gas tank back a little. Has anybody ever done it? It will just be driven on log roads and around cut-overs and hopefully turn sharper. I've got an old M725 frame and an extra bed if it doesnt work. Heres a cut up picture of our good truck. How about it?

If you are going to chop up that truck can I drive down and swap you tailgates? Mine is the same color and in better than average shape, but it isn't as nice as yours!
    1967 & 1968 M715
    The ChopTop

I think Doug might know of one that may be available.

I think it looks like total dogsh*t, but it IS shorter LOL Would help a lot on steep breakovers and tight turns.
    **I heart Bump_r **

Default Tailgate

Muddy. Its the blue one the sparks are gonna fly on. Its tailgate is not that great,sorry.

Oh... thanks anyway, Paron.
    1967 & 1968 M715
    The ChopTop

Any reason that you want to cut the middle out of it instead of just bobbing the bed? Cutting the middle out sounds like a lot of mods. Drivelines, Brakes..etc. If you bob the bed all you have to do is deal with is wiring. Looks like fun either way.

sorry i'm a retard.....skipped over the part where you said you are going to bob the bed. What type of wheel base you going for? CJ Length?

Default Looks?

Looks? Wiring? Brakes? This is an Arkansas deer camp I`m talking about. I just want to get up out of the creek.

DO IT! and take pictures.... Long wheel base has been a complaint of some serious wheelers of our M715.

If you are serious about it, and the bed is half way decent, you may want to sell it and throw on a roll cage. Lots of folks need a bed.... (for their truck) get your mind out of the gutter.
    Go Ahead, Make my day

Yeah, chop the heell out of it! Who cares if there were only about 30,000 of them made and it's a classic truck that would bring high dollar in the near future. Chop it up, so mine are more valuable some day.