Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tools?

Default Tools?

Where do you find the Pioneer set for the side? How much should it cost?

Most people go down to the local hardware store and piece it all together. I got lucky and found a metal and wood handled shovel that fit at Sears.

Yup. And the straps to hold them are available from the canvas sources:

New Life Canvas
    Weebee Webbing
    Beachwood Canvas

So, FNG, would you happen to have a part number for that Sears shovel? I haven't been able to find one that's even close!
    -- Tim Taylor

Wow, whadda ya know...the sticker is still intact. I've had this shovel for 4-5 years now and have used it quite a bit but the sticker is still on the handle. I guess even Craftsman stickers are built tough.
    It is a Craftsman/Lifetime 71-8786. The shovelhead has a really long tang with reinforcement around the shaft where it joins the wood and the yoke of the handle is metal with the handle itself wood. OAL is about 37.3" and fits my bed brackets like it was meant for it, got lucky there. It's a pretty stout tool too, I wouldn't hesitate using it to dig out on the trail. (or latrine whatever...) It does have a metalic blue handle-yoke but I plan to sand it all down and paint it (not orange haha) to match. I also saw pictures of a truck where someone had drilled a small hole all the way through the shaft near the end and put a nut and bolt through the bed wall for security purposes. Good Idea I thought, at least it would slow down any potential thieves or Veterans Admin. cops!
    Last edited by fng; April 25th, 2007 at 07:05 AM. Reason: speeeling

Sounds like just the right length. I can't seem to find them under 40" and that's just too long to fit on my truck.

Thanks for looking that number up for me, Tracy!

Now just wish me luck with my local Sears guys. You think auto parts guys are clueless.... These Sears guys are a half step away from being Dell customer support guys!

....You sure on that number? Nothing comes up on it. Seems a bit short for a Sears number.
    -- Tim Taylor

Well upon closer inspection I've found a bar-code on th bottom of the tag
    D71 M8786 and the shovel is plastered with USA stamps, must be made here, shocking! Says all kinds of stuff, Northern White Ash Handle, Thicker steel blade, Better for digging in rocky soils....blah, blah, blah.
    Those are all the numbers I could find Tim, hope this helps, let me know.

Thanks, man! Armed with those numbers, I'll be off on the hunt!

Appreciate it!
    -- Tim Taylor

Let me know what you find out Tim. I'm looking for a shovel as well.
    68 M-715
    67 M-725

Well I just called two Sears stores and that number won't help...the D71 indicates "Lawn & Garden" and that number they cannot search in their computer. The bigger Sears at the local mall told me they do not carry any short style spade/dirt shovels with wood handles - only fiber handles. The Sears Hardware Store told me they have one or two short shovels with wood handles but that number didn't work either.
    Apparently both stores asked me for a five digit number - ALL NUMBERS NO LETTERS, which allows them to search via their computer database...
    I will head to the one Sears Hardware Store to see the ones they had (short with wood handles) sometime this week...

I found mine at my local Home Depot in thier tool section. Fit great and with a little od paint over the bright green matched right up on my truck.

Dave
    1967 Kaiser Jeep M715 weapons carrier:http://www.davidallenracing.com/M715.htm
    1967 Kaiser Jeep M35a2 2.5 ton cargo truck: http://www.davidallenracing.com/M35A2.htm
    Delta Team Decals: http://www.i2k.com/~schwarzd/