Thread: 700R4/4l60 to np205

Default 700R4/4l60 to np205

I am getting ready to replace the drivetrain in my 715. I have a 350 sbc and am looking to put in a 700R4/4l60 (pre-93 so it is not electronically controlled). I can purchase a rebuilt 92 4l60 with transfer case for a good price. I believe the transfer case is a 241? I'm going to use my 715 as a second vehicle around town and also some offroad fun, but nothing extreme.

1. What do you guys think about the 241? I know it is chain driven so it's not as strong but will it work fine if I'm not doing anything crazy?

2. I am also thinking about installing a np205 on the back of the transmission. I read from 2 different sources online about a place in Kansas City that sells a spacer that goes between the transmission and the TH350 adapter for $50-$60. It also said the tailshaft would have to be shortened 1/8th of an inch for it to work. Then of course the 205 would be on the back of the th350 adapter. I know there is a conversion shaft from Advance Adapters but it is pricey compared to this spacer idea. Has anyone done this setup or have any advice or an opinion? Also, are all th350/np205 setups the same or would I need a specific year?

3. I will probably need to shorten/lengthen the driveshafts. Are there any clearance or angle issues that I'll need to worry about?

Any opinions or advice would be greatly appreciated. I also have a divorced dodge 205 that I would be interested in trading for a th350 adapter and np205 if I decide to go with this setup. Thanks for your help!

1. I like the 241. I have them in my Blazer, and my Suburban, and had one on the Cummins motor (the 241HD). Chain cases and gear cases are designed around two seperate stresses, so I wouldn't dwell on the strenght issue. I've broken both before. Just keep lube in there and you should be fine.

I have been beating on our Suburban lately, mostly up the local rockcrawling trails, and have had zero issue with the 241. I would recommend a slip-yoke eliminator though. Also very important to keep the trans-to-t-case seal in tiptop shape, or you lose tranny fluid, which is very bad for the 700r4. But that's taken care of at installation, so do it right and you'll be fine.

You can get a clocking ring and tuck it up for more clearance if you'd like. I would recommend a skidplate, as well.

The 2.72:1 low is very nice next to the 205's 1.96:1, and the 700r4's OD and lower first (3.06 compared to a TH400's 2.48). Make sure you set the TV cable up correctly or you'll burn it up. But that's easy, every manual available gets it right, as does the info here: www.bowtieoverdrives.com.

2. See above. I wouldn't bother, seriously. Well, unless you like the idea of keeping it all gears or something.... but then, you wouldn't be running an automatic.

3. Angles/clearance issues are going to depend on how you end up going with this project. SYE's save you about 6" off the stock 241, clocking rings steal a few degrees from you... etc etc.

but short answer? I like the 241, it's a good case that has held up well to my abuses.
    **I heart Bump_r **