Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Wheels?

Default New Wheels?

Here is a set of factory wheel centers I removed so I can get a set with these centers made up. It was pretty easy, I got it down to 40 minutes per wheel to remove the center.

Here is a new MRW wheel, they sent it to me to measure everything and make sure it is correct before I buy 5. The last wheel place I called was MRW and so far they have been the best.

Another view, it should make my XL's come to just the outside of my fender flare, and these are 8"x16"

One last photo. By the way they are not solid plate centers, they just look like it. I was quoted $89.00 apiece for these. I am going to send them a factory wheel center in hopes of getting another set made with our factory centers, maybe 10"x17" or 10"x18" wheels for larger or wider tires. I'll let everyone know how this works out as well. MRW so far has been the best wheel place to deal with that I called, and I called all of them that I know of. It will be a few weeks probably before I get my set finished. I'll post up more pics when this comes to completion.

Good job Fisherman, and good news too. I'll be interested in hearing your report on the MRW wheels. I didn't quite understand if you were sending the centers to MRW to make your permanent set or if you are having them make a second set using the stock centers.

I'm also running figures to bring the 11.00-16 XZL's to the outside and flush with the fenders, but haven't had a chance to concentrate on the backspace numbers yet.

I might have them change the backspacing just a touch, need to double check all my measurements. This wheel should bring the Xl's just to the outside of the flare, maybe a touch more, but hope not. The factory centers I cut out will be for a set of larger wheels with the factory centers. Maybe 17" wheels by 10" wide, not sure yet. Yes I'll have a second set made, if he can use my factory centers for running a larger wider tire. Also this may be another option for members wanting a factory wheel center.

I had my centers cut out and welded into another set of rim shells I already had. Worked out great! Very little runout.

On the other hand, those look nice, and having a simple setup people can just get them DONE would be really nice, and it sounds like, fairly cheap!

Btw, not a solid center? Do you have pictures of the backside of that rim?
    Or are you just using that as a template to set your backspacing, and they will do it differently when they have them again?

OK I'll give it away, Bob you listening, the centers are two pieces. The outter side has the MRW scrolled into it. I will get measurements but it appears plenty strong. This wheel is a mock up for checking backspacing in case I want to change it. I will send the wheel back with any changes I want, that way I'm not buying wheels I don't like or won't be able to use. The fella I spoke with was very helpful, unlike the other wheel places. And the price is right. 5 of those wheels plus shipping will be a little over 500 bucks. And I might get another set with my factory wheel centers for less than I could buy four wheels from somebody else. And I mean a set of 5 wheels, not 4. If this goes well MRW will get a raving refferal from me.

Anyone who is willing to work with the customer like they have, Gets my first call. Thats a BIG plus.

After all the time and energy I've invested into my project, I'm really into the idea of finding/buying something "off the shelf". If and when you get the pathway cleared for the rest of us be sure and post a model number of the new wheels and I'll be on the short list for a set. Thanks and great pics, clean looking work on those brakes and axles...cool.
    I'm still waiting on the machine shop to finish my drive flange work and I'll have some new pic's too.

Nice work... almost makes me regret swapping axles. Now I have to use crummy Humvee bead lock wheels with a custom center to fake the stock look.

I said almost! I still don't regret swapping!!

But still, that is great work, and makes people truly envious.
    Go Ahead, Make my day

I think there will be a lot of members who can benefit from your dedication here.
    And with a good cost savings over other sources.

Btw, the center sections look good welded into other rims, especially if you have a deep dish affect.

Hammer,

What size rims did you have your centers welded into? Backspacing/width of rim? What rims did you use? What size/brand tire is that in the above picture?