Thread: SBC to NV4500

Default SBC to NV4500

I'm not familiar with the newer chevy motors. Will a nv4500 out of a newer chevy 3/4 ton mount up to a chevy 350?? I am assuming i will need a different bellhousing for the mount up. But just curious. Thanks for any help.

Without trying to read like a lecture, here you go.

All Chevy V-8 engines made since 1955 (Execpt for the mid 1990's Mercury Marine made DOHC Corvette engines) have the same shaped bell housing mount on the rear of the engine. Any year will fit any other year. However, the newest version of the small block introduced in 2000 on all vehicles and carried over from Corvette and Camaro LS-1's have the same shape, but one less bolt. The bolt behind the #8 cylinder is not there. So, basically if you have a Chevy engine newer than 1955 and made in mass quantities, along with a bell housing made during the same time, then they will bolt up to each other.

That is the easy part. The complications come along with the NV4500. Dodge and Chevy got together to make a top of the line transmission in the early '90's. The NV4500 is the result. The first few years had different bellhousing to transmission bolt patterns for each company. Then Chevy changed to the same pattern Dodge was using. Neither of the two patterns are the same as anything ever bolted to a Chevy bellhousing before. Dodge also used a different input shaft for ones bolted behind the 6BT. This means that if you get a NV4500, get the bellhousing it was bolted to. Or be prepaired to spend $500-$1000 at Advance Adaptor or Lakewood for a new steel bellhousing/scattershield.

This make sense?
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

I bought a late-chevy nv4500 bell housing for $150 off ebay. You might have to watch for a while to get a good deal but they are around.

Yeah i understand BARRMAN. The dodge input shafts are also 8 inches while the chevy's are 6 inches. along with the output splines are 32 on a chevy i beleive and 29 for a dodge. They changed the first gear ratio as well in 97 maybe? just trying to do some research and thank you for that questions answered...