Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Master Cylinder Replacement / Rebuild

Default Master Cylinder Replacement / Rebuild

I have a leaky master cylinder that needs replacing or rebuilding. Does anyone know of a civilian vehicle that used the same master cylinder? I would like to get the rebuild kit for that vehicle or just pick up a replacement. Any part numbers would be appreciated as well.

There is a civilian application...BUT:

If you go to Napa and ask for part number 21000 it is the very same master cylinder as the stock M715 one....then the bad news...

I have yet to find a rebuild kit or rebuilt master of this type...they are all NEW...price last I checked was $185 list, $109 retail....lets see if I can pull it up at the Napa site today:
    http://www.napaonline.com/MasterPages/NOLWelcome.aspx
    Search on non napa part number...last item on page 4 of the search results...even has a pic to show its the right one.

Heres the Napa number to enter so you can get just the right part to show:

UP 21000

Application in my notes from the trip to Napa show:

1966 Jeep Gladiator Pickup

I dont know if the mil surplus guys have a rebuild kit or not...but Napa doesnt...they dont even have a core charge on the master...since these arent rebuilt...

Do yourself and other people on the road a favor and go to a dual master. Kinda scary depending on a single master cylinder to stop the truck.

I went to a Cardone 10-1331 dual master - a few adapter pieces, and dual cylinder brakes.

The Cardone master cost me about $14.
    67 M725 67 M715 68 M715

I agree, I went to a dual master cylinder as well. Cost me $24.09 from Napa a couple months ago (it would have been cheaper, except they charged me shipping because they didn't have it in stock). Yes, you will have to buy a couple of little brake fittings, which cost me 7.16 from Napa. Much cheaper than a single master cylinder, and such a safer system too. All it takes is one bad slave cylinder, and you have NO breaks with the stock master cylinder. If you really want to step up, you could even go to a power brake system. If so, someone else will have to chime in as to what that swap entails. If you want to go with the dual master cylinder, I can post all the Napa part numbers I have.
    68 M-715
    67 M-725

Ditto on the dual master cylinder upgrade. I had my break line break off on an obstacle once and suddenly had absolutely NO brakes. I'd have had 1/2 brakes with the upgraded master cylinder.
    -- Tim Taylor

Ditto on the Vette master cylinder. Had a bit of trouble getting the front brakes bled with it for some reason (as did another member who did the swap at the same time) but well worth the piece of mind of a dual plus the added bonus of having better brakes than I did before.

Quote Originally Posted by brute4c View Post
    There is a civilian application...BUT:

If you go to Napa and ask for part number 21000 it is the very same master cylinder as the stock M715 one....then the bad news...

I have yet to find a rebuild kit or rebuilt master of this type...they are all NEW...price last I checked was $185 list, $109 retail....lets see if I can pull it up at the Napa site today:
    http://www.napaonline.com/MasterPages/NOLWelcome.aspx
    Search on non napa part number...last item on page 4 of the search results...even has a pic to show its the right one.

Heres the Napa number to enter so you can get just the right part to show:

UP 21000

Application in my notes from the trip to Napa show:

1966 Jeep Gladiator Pickup

I dont know if the mil surplus guys have a rebuild kit or not...but Napa doesnt...they dont even have a core charge on the master...since these arent rebuilt...
    I couldn't turn up that napa part number, will NMC M36006 OR NMC P36006 work. I used 1966 Jeep Gladiator pickup to turn these up on the napa site.

Napa doesn't seem to have a listing for the Cardone 10-1331 unit (dual master cylinder...not stock setup) I bought back in November 2008 either. I found it on RockAuto though.

http://cardone.com/English/club/memb...PARTNUM=101331

If you type in the GMC truck applications listed by the RockAuto website Napa lists the following new part number.

Brake Master Cylinder - Remfd
    Product Line: Proformer Master Cylinders
    Comments: w/ Bolt on Cover Master Cylinder Reservoir
    NMC P36288
    Price $31.99

Brake Master Cylinder - Remfd
    Product Line: Proformer Master Cylinders
    NMC P36246
    Price $29.99

Brake Master Cylinder - New
    Product Line: NAPA Ultra Premium Master Cylinders
    NMC M36246
    Price $75.49

Brake Master Cylinder - New
    Product Line: NAPA Ultra Premium Master Cylinders
    Comments: w/ Bolt on Cover Master Cylinder Reservoir
    NMC M36288
    Price $75.99
    1967 M715 w/wn
    1968 M715 w WVT993 maint bed
    1969 M725

There is a new one on Ebay. A B Linn has them on there too quite often.
    DaveJ

I am currently instaling the Cardone 10-1331 master cylinder. I need any adapter part numbers or any helpful hints for this install. Thanks.