Thread: new style push button light switch

Default new style push button light switch

Anyone know if the new switch will work on 12 volts?I dont see why it wont,but they cost to much to buy and fry.

Never heard of a problem with the 3 lever switches going from 24 to 12 volts. Turn signal relays in the old style are the hangup but not the newer solid state type or the 3 lever.

One thing though I have always wondered is about the effectiveness of the internal to the 3 lever switch circuit breaker. If it "pops" at, say, 20 amps on 24 volt....that means it wouldnt "pop" until 40 amps on 12 volt? Or would it "pop" at the same amps either way?

Would make a big diference...though like I said, never heard of an issue with 12V and the 3 lever.
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

I don't think the amp rating is going to change, problem "might" be that a 12 volt system will operate at higher amperage. Joe/Ia had a problem with his when it was built in the early 90's, headlights would trip the breaker. We just changed the wiring so the 3 lever switch turned relays on/off to operate the headlights taking the load off the 3 lever switch. None of this really answers Bawannabuck's question though as I think he was asking about the new style switch. I haven't been around any other than seeing one in Lee's truck in 04, not sure what voltage he was running but I'd bet it was 12.

Yep, Lee was running12 volts.

Good input Todd...thanks! Didnt know...or remember if I had been told...about Joes doing that...
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

Default A little additional information...

Just read a press statement about the 'new switch.' All of the negatives I've heard about it made me interested in the read. Unfortunately, no information on 12V.

Bottom line - with the military - the switch works really well on some vehicles and is crap on others. They are trying to figure out why. Likely has to do with the load it has to carry.

Interestingly, the reason the military went to that switch (their cite) was that you couldn't see the 3 lever markings in the dark.

Snuffy

I've got one of those switches. Free! It's really bright, at least when I hooked it up to a battery.
    **I heart Bump_r **

Taco - is it lit with red or blue?? Blue seems to be the new rage - but it seems like it would kill night vision.

Blue as hell. I'm going to see if I can switch it to red.... because I can't have my night vision compromised! heheheheh The blue looks like... mouthwash, or gum or something.
    **I heart Bump_r **