Thread: Spark Plugs

Default Spark Plugs

What size socket is needed to remove the Tornado spark plugs (type used with the sealed wires), and will a standard deep well socket work, or do I need something custom? Haven't tried to remove them yet but thought I'd ask while I'm logged in here. Thanks

13/16ths spark plug socket works just fine...standard size...the larger one of the 2 standard sizes.
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

Make sure it's a 13/16 deep socket, the standard size just isn't deep enough.

Paul, the problem is going to be getting the socket on the first of the companion spark plugs that point toward each other. So, 3 easy ones after you do the 3 hard ones.

One of the manuals has a list of M715 specific tools at the begining of it. They show a spark plug wrench. It looks like somebody cut one up the same way current O2 sensor sockets look and added a handle.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Thanks for the info. I guess if it was easy, everyone would be changing them.... I figured the 13/16 socket would work, but my spark plug socket isn't deep enough to fit all the way down the plug, so I wanted to be sure before I bought an extra deep socket. Thanks again.

I remember using a standard 13/16ths to pull the plugs. It is a little cramped due to the plugs facing each other but it does work without a real problem...just makes it slightly slower.
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Doesn't Crasftman or snap on make a bent box wrench that would work? You know it's shapped in an L with the box end on the foot of the L. I would think that would make the problem of cramptness a little easier.
    Zone holster maker

The plug wrench that Barrman mentioned is actually used to remove the spark plug wires. They are close enough together that they make getting a regular wrench on them near impossible. However, I found that the standard wrench that you can get off ebay doesn't have enought clearance (to thick) for the M715. Works fine on other MV's. A grinder will fix the clearance problem.

My first plug wrench I made from a standard open-end wrench and bent the handle and ground the open-end down to make it thin enough to easily fit between the spark plug wire nuts.

Once you get the spark plug wires off, a deep spark plug socket (you might need to remove the inner rubber thingy) will work to remove the spark plugs.

Yep, exactly. The wires are the real pain...plugs are a bit inconvenient but do-able.

Sorry for the confusion. I knew I should have walked over and looked at one before I posted. I messed with my Gasser OA331 plugs last and had that on my mind when I wrote the above.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw