Thread: GM Dana 60 Question

Default GM Dana 60 Question

I'm installing a GM Dana 60 in the front of my truck today. How far do you thread the two studs on the passenger side of the housing? I stopped when the stud installer started to slip and when I looked the coarse thread was flush with the housing. However the studs are sticking out quite aways; as in several inches.

They do have to be long enough to account for a spring pack and the spring plate. Mine were flush to the coarse threads.
    **I heart Bump_r **

I've got the spring plate and springs attached and I have an area almost two inches long with no threads before I hit the threads for the nuts. Should I just make a spacer out of some DOM and call it good?

No.

Something is not right. You shouldn't have that much space. ?????? pics
    **I heart Bump_r **

No pics. But the studs are 5 inchs long. I think the studs and ubolts I have are actually for a truck with high lift aftermarket spring packs. I was planning on using the stock 2 spring pack but after replacing the studs with two 5/8 x 2 inch bolts and running the u bolt nuts all the way down guess what.... there is a good 3/8 inch gap between the spring and the axle pad since the spring plate bottoms out on the housing. So now I'm looking at replacing the stock 1400 lb. 2 leaf springs with the optional 1900 lb. 4 leaf pack which should help to hold the weight of the 6.2. I'm trying to use stock springs because I don't what to raise the height of the truck.
    After this the next thing will be steering as I can see it probably won't match up worth spit.