Thread: FYI stock suspension shocks

Default FYI stock suspension shocks

I have the following info on stock application shocks in case anyone is interested. I did a search thru the Monroe catalog at a local O'Reilly store for shocks as close to stock specs as possible for my truck. I found these two numbers that seemed to compare well with the original shocks. 37073 and 37188. Both are Sensa-Trac truck shocks. The 37073's match the extended and compressed length of the originals. The 37188's were actually about 2" longer at 23.375" but in checking the minimum compressed length and full droop length I think they are actually a better fit. All ends are .625" rubber bushed, but the hardware that comes with the 37188's contains .500" x .625" bushings for the rear .500" bolts. Near as I can tell the truck drives and rides fine. Price for all four ran about $120.00

What numbers for the fronts? Sensa-tracs are more $$$ than the stock Monroe-Gas Matcis that are yellow. Can you tell me what numbers you used for the fronts so I can pick a set up and maybe cross reference them to Gas-Matics which are cheaper? Thanks!

I used the same shock front and rear...the stock ones are all the same...
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

Jon,

When I questioned AB Linn if front and rear shocks were interchangeable, he told me "no." I am assuming you have used stock rear shocks on the front with success? If so, I will buy a set of rears for my fronts off of Ebay...please confirm when you get a minute! Thank you!

I use shocks spec'd for a FSJ with a 3" lift. Seems to work fine. Same shocks on all 4 corners.

When I removed the stock shocks from my truck, the lengths were different. The rears are longer than the fronts. I replaced them with the Rancho 5000 shocks that were listed BC (before the crash). Not sure where those numbers are shown now though.

The front and rear shocks are not the same.

The Monroe gas magnum's I used on a 725 were , fronts 34803 and rear 34958 .

The fronts were the 37188 and 37073 on the rear. I thought that I scanned all the #s but there is a lot of them and you're looking ata lot of #s with compressed length, extended length and both end mounting styles. I guess I could have gone back to to counter guy and asked him to cross ref the #s but I was just glad to find the ones in the first place that pretty much matched mine. My longer ones were on the front. I did jack up the front frame yesterday for changing spring bushings and the shock mounts drooped out to over 22". The static mounting length was also over an inch longer than the rear.

I have driven my 715 as a daily driver for 15 years and have probably logged over 300,000 miles in it. Do not for any reason run the Monroe gas magnum shocks as sooner or later it will rip the rear shock mounts off the crossmember. I have expierianced this twice and have since then redesigned the crossmember (incorporated into the gooseneck hitch) and shock mounts and have gone to a standard oil filled non gascharged shock and have not had any problems since. Also another big plus is the cheap oil filled shocks make the truck ride much smoother without jarring your teeth out.
    Willie