Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Winches

Default Winches

Trying to weigh my options...can anyone elaborate on pro's and con's of each as well as general opinions. My parts truck is a winch model. I am trying to decide whether I should mount the PTO winch or go w/ a comparable Electric Winch. I could sell the PTO set-up and likely have the money for the Elec plus other accessories. Poll in boys.

Default vote for elec

I sold my large 10,000 pto. in its place is going a 16,000 warn elec. I know the pto will out pull the elec. but it weighs a whole bunch more, it will not work if the engine not running, plus the elec is easy to operate.

The biggest reason Warn gave me the winch

How do you plan to use your truck?

The stock setup would be a huge PITA off road. Ruins the approach angle unless you're going to run 44" tires and some lift.
    This post is closed-captioned for the hearing impaired.

A PTO winch will outpull a similarly rated electric winch. You already knew that though.

The visual impact of a PTO winch is hard to define. Everybody has seen an electric winch and most people won't look twice at one. They see part of a PTO winch and have to go check it out.

But, as pointed out the weight, overhand and hugeness of a PTO works against it in some situations.

It all comes down to what you are more comfortable with. Just remember this. Whatever you pay for the electric winch. It will be worth a few hundred in a few years. A working PTO set up will only increase in value as more and more are used, wanted and broken. I vote for PTO. If you don't like it, you can always sell it in a few years and buy a bigger electric winch than the sale would allow you to now.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

How about hydraulic? They're more compact. Getting faster. Would let you get away from the terrible approach angles with the PTO winch....
    -- Tim Taylor

I am using all the stock winch driveshafts, PTO off the trans, shifter etc, just not the stock winch. I am using an 8000 lb Ramsey pto winch. It will be tucked into my bumper and should be quite compact with little or no added overhang. I think 8000 lb. rating will be sufficient for the little use it will get on my truck.

Default Winches

I'm not sure if they are still available, but there use to be a lot of good posts here extolling the virtues of each type.

Rollie

With hydraulic you will have to have a pump. Either a PTO pump or I've heard guys go off their PS pump. I would not attempt that, as it reminds me of a winch comparison article in a 4 wheel mag a while back. Tested various winches, one being a hydro that was run off thier PS pump. Ended up having to replace the PS pump several times. Good thing about hydro though is they are really strong and you have great control over in/out. Could get rather spendy quick though.

Yes, you could run an electric winch while the engine is off, but has anyone tried that? All I know is that with an 80A alternator and a dual battery setup on my dad's Dodge, he still has to stop now and then because his 8274 sucks so much juice. Don't know how far you would get just strictly off your battery. Not sure how the amp draw of a 16K warn compares to 8-9K warn. Other thing to note is that unless you get an industrial type elec. winch, you basically have a "self recovery device". Its good for a pull now and then short distances to get you or another rig out, but they don't work well if you run them continuously (ask me how I know). Again, just depends on what kinda wheeling you plan on doing. Line speeds on elecs are also slow, especially if you have to double line, which you will most likely have to do for the M-715.

I was going to run a Warn 8274 on my M-715, but then I got a 10K Garwood and thats the end of that decision, lol. I'll tuck it up as close as I can to attempt in keeping some approach angle, and after running through some general numbers I discovered that the 10K rating is kinda an understatement. It will have a fast line speed and pull all day long if I want to. Lets not discuss how much money I've dumped into the PTO setup, I could have easily bought a couple elec. winches, but I know I'll be happier in the end. Granted the only thing "stock" I share in my setup is the PTO gearbox on the T-98. The M-715 is a heavy thing, lol. PTO is my vote.

My truck will have 44"s and an extensive lift. I understand the con that if I stall the engine or flood it I am S.O.L w/ a PTO. Its primarily a mud truck...not too worried about approach angles. I'll be modifying the stock split bumper in order to alleviate some of that. I have no established comfort w/ either elec or pto as I have zero experience winching.

I hadn't put any thought towards hydraulic...my truck still has the snow plow setup so I have the hydraulic pump part covered, I think.

RPGDeity as well as everyone else...thank you so much. Keep the opinions coming guys. I am leaning towards the PTO...it will take a bit to rebuild...its pretty thoroughly rusted. I was concerned that the PTO wouldn't fit well w/ my SBC 350 but has been assured it will. Im an amature at this in every aspect and hope to continue to learn from you all.

I am running a 350 in my M725 and a PTO winch. I made my own drive line but all else is stock. Elect. will only get you a few feet if the motor is not running. PTO will not move you at all if not running. I really like hydraulic but PTO works really well and like Barrman said people will look twice. A 10,000# for our trucks will pull a lot more than that, add a snatch block and move the world. I have pulled my truck with all 4 wheels locked and never had to rev up the motor. Most electo will need a rolling load and if you pull very long they get hot and you have to wait. For me it is either a PTO or Hydo. I have run large Hydro on 18 wheelers and they are almos unstopable but that is with a pump running off the PTO.