Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cooling System

Default Cooling System

I live in a hot country, do I need to use coolant in my radiator.
    There are 2 schools of thought,
    1. I have been told that if you add coolant to your system when it has been run with distilled water, chemicals in the coolant will harm your system? reason given over the years there has been slight corrosion and some of the chemicals in the coolant will make it worse
    2, If you change to a coolant, the chemicals in the coolant will halt the corrosion. Any comments? please

The antifreeze actually has chemicals in it that, when mixed in the proper proportions, will actually help the water cool more efficiently. Also, it can definitely help prevent corrosion in the cooling system. It's running regular tap water that can eat up your system and god forbid you put well water in it. That grows all sorts of fungus and nasty stuff, lol.
    -What We Have, We Hold-

anti-freeze actually raises the boiling temperature of the water, preventing water from boiling off at 212* or so.

Antifreeze does raise the boiling point of water. It also reduces the efficency of heat transfer of water. Pure water will transfer more heat out of your engine than water/antifreeze. Antifreeze has corrosion inhibiters in it also.

Hmm, I was taught the opposite here. I dunno.
    -What We Have, We Hold-

Me too.

(About the cooling efficiency, I mean.)
    -- Tim Taylor

Sorry to get all scientific....
    Pure water specific heat is 1000 kJ/Kg C.
    50/50 Glycol/Water mix is 1014 kJ/Kg C.

It means that water takes 1000 Kilojoules of heat energy to raise 1 kilogram of water by 1 degree celcius.

50/50 takes 1014 Kilojoules to do the same.

That means that water is more efficient at transferring heat. (Sorry for the metric numbers...)

-Brian (and Angry)

Well, if we are getting all scientific here, , here is the boiling point depression (freezing point) and elevation (boiling point) of different coolant mixes:

Water: 32/212
    50/50 mix: -35/223
    70/30 mix: -67/235

Temperature is given in degrees Fahrenheit, 70/30 mix is 70% ethylene glycol (anti-freeze) and 30% water.

Also remember that the coolant system is under pressure. Usually no more than 2 atmospheres (1 atm=14.6 psi) in pressure. This in itself can raise the boiling point roughly 45 deg. F.
    Last edited by rpgdeity; March 28th, 2007 at 08:21 PM.

Okay, so in English.....?

What do I want in my truck?! (Assuming coldest ambient temperature never below 35*F)
    -- Tim Taylor

You want a 50/50 mix of antifreeze and water (preferably distilled water) because it cools better and minimizes corrosion. Best coolant to buy is the 50/50 pre-mix you get from auto-parts store.

FWIW, the specific heat is the amount of energy required to raise temp 1 degree. This does not indicate that it makes a better/worse heat transfer fluid. It only indicates that water will end up with a higher temperature than antifreeze for the same amount of heat removed.

More important in the coolant property is that the boiling point of the antifreeze is higher than water at the same pressure. That means there will be less boiling of the antifreeze at the block wall where the coolant removes heat of combustion. The boiling reduces the heat transfer coefficient because the vapor is less efficient at heat transfer than liquid. Having your coolant boil is a bad thing so raising the boiling point of the coolant is good for the heat transfer.

You want to use distilled water with the anti-freeze because it has no minerals that will precipitate out in the block and radiator and foul them reducing the ability to remove the heat.