Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What version divorced np205?

Default What version divorced np205?

I'm looking to put a divorced np205 in and need to know if there is a prefered type. Would a Dodge or GM version work better? Thanks to anyone
    who could help me out.

They will work great no matter which version you get. GM, Dodge or IH. I always get confused on the spline count, so I will put it this way. The GM version of the 205 has the courser less number of spline shafts while the other two makers had the finer higher spline count shafts. With the stock axles, it won't matter which version you have since the axle shafts will probably break before you even tax the T-case.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Quote Originally Posted by Barrman View Post
    I always get confused on the spline count, so I will put it this way. The GM version of the 205 has the courser less number of spline shafts....
    10 splines on my GM 205 (married, but currently separated!)
    -- Tim Taylor

Did GM ever make a divorced case? I always thought you had to find a Dodge or IH to get a divorced that would work. Ford had divorced NP205 but the drop was on the wrong side. I know from 1970s on all the GM trucks I've seen were married.

It appears 1966 and earlier GM models had a divorced case of some sort.
    -What We Have, We Hold-

I installed a 72 dodge 205, I changed out the yokes from the strap type to the u bolt. It has a 32 spline output shafts. The later IH 205 is pretty much the same as the dodge (I believe) but there's nothing wrong with the IH 202 either, then you could run the stock e-brake with mods to the 200 rear bearing retainer/brake band support. Bob Cowan has that mod available, Right Bob? Anyway I posted pics a little while back. That earlier GM t-case Elwenel mentioned was a rockwell brand, getting hard to get parts for.

Quote Originally Posted by Elwenil View Post
    It appears 1966 and earlier GM models had a divorced case of some sort.
    Those were generally Rockwell T221's, if I remember that model number right.

GM's married cases before... 1987? maybe earlier? are all coarse spline. Later models went to 32spl. GM front output shafts can be swapped to 32spl, but there's not much point unless you're breaking everything else in the drivetrain and that's the last thing you'd replace anyway.

anyway. To answer the question, Dodge or IH divorced 205's. Or just swap the output on the NP200 for free, and not have to look all over.

i have a dodge, passenger side out, in mine. let me know if you need images of the bracket i used. Off Road Unlimited in Burbank made mine.

by the way, i have another dodge np 205, would like to sell it if you are near the los angeles area.

jeff

I'll be passing through this June. How much ya want for it?
    -- Tim Taylor

i paid $300, would like to get that back.

i'll toss in a nice dinner or lunch and a few beers on top of that.