Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Custom rear bumper extensions

Default Custom rear bumper extensions

I'm thinking about making a couple of sets of rear bumper extensions for my 715/725. Although I would like to make them and then cut an oval in it to put a common oval rear brake light (like the one shown below). I want to make them as close to the original ones as I can (I have a set, but they are beat up badly), including the backing plate and everything. I guess if there is enough people who would want a set of ones with the original holes for the B/O lights and turn signals, I could look into doing that. But right now I just want to make new ones for newer brake lights. Its one of those things I don't notice much on the 715's, so I don't know if a lot of people are missing them or not.

#11 in this picture.

Anybody interested in a set (Left and Right side) of the extensions? If there is interest I'll look into a price. Anybody have some other ideas of what would look really good?

I think the round ones might look better with the truck. Since you're custom making them, you could make the new part 11 be wide enough outside the rear crossmember to allow the round ones to fit. Then a small pice of flat steel welded perpendicular above and down the sides (like on semi trailers) for protection and a finished look. Even with the ovals, I think the "trim" steel would be a nice touch.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't the rubber bumper-donuts on the tailgate bump into those extensions? You'd have the tailgate donuts bumping right into your plastic taillight lenses putting those there, eh?
    -- Tim Taylor

The tailgate donuts hit the bumperettes. The light extensions just sit there and get hit by everything you back into.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

No, the extensions hold the military tail light and turn signal. I'm just making new extensions and instead of putting the holes to locate those lights, I'll have an oval hole for my light. If the bumper was to hit my light, it would have to be hitting the original lights.

You beat me to it Barrman.

Make yourself a few sets if you plan to wheel the truck...those have to be the most commonly mangled part on the trucks.
    This post is closed-captioned for the hearing impaired.

Yeah, my set are all bent up. I was thinking most people mashed theirs too, and might be looking for new ones. I was thinking of making them outta a bit thicker material too, think 1/4" would hold up? Might make them outta stainless too while I'm at it.

I've been toying with the idea of making an extension of the extension. Let's say "J" shaped to go on the right side of the truck. Bottom end of the "J" bolts onto the existing extension and the leg runs up the bedside. That way I could move the tailights up and outta harms way.

I'm running the big duece style lights. I can see them getting ripped off like Doug says by ground impact.

That would work for your application as well. It would take some more fabbing than your method though.

Default I guess I just don't get it!

I must have misunderstood what you were going to do then. I thought you were going to either cut ovals in your bumperettes, or make new bumperettes with ovals cut in them, and put the lights in there.

Quote Originally Posted by rpgdeity View Post
    No, the extensions hold the military tail light and turn signal. I'm just making new extensions and instead of putting the holes to locate those lights, I'll have an oval hole for my light. If the bumper was to hit my light, it would have to be hitting the original lights.

You beat me to it Barrman.
    -- Tim Taylor

No problem Tim. If you look at the picture from the manuals in my first post, the bumperette is shown as #16. I am talking about #11, just to help clear things up for everyone.