Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 292 Chevy

Default 292 Chevy

I tried to search but the site won't let me so I'm sorry if this has already been talked about.
    My old 230 is getting tired and I'm thinking about going with a 292 Chevy. I've found several Chevy 6 cyl. in junk yards but when I ask about them nobody knows what size they are and I don't either. Does anyone know how to tell the differance between a 292 and other Chevy 6 cyl.?

The 194, 230, 250 have the short side lifter covers, it's been a long time, I think about 3" and the 292 is considerably taller about 5", sorry I dont have exact dimentions.

I havta ask...

Why?

All a six will give you over a small block is less HP and the same or less fuel mileage, but with the benefit of a lousy exhaust note...

I agree about the "why" question. But, a six in good tune will actually give you pretty good milage, tons of torque, easy to get to tune up parts and they look like they belong under the hood. Plus, stock stuff like a snorkel and fording exhaust actually work with it.

Pc will probably check in with some links to straight six sights. He is at the "make it run right" stage of his conversion to a 292.

The 292 is considered the "big block" of the Chevy 6's. Hot Rod Magazine did a big article within the last year about Chevy I6 engines. I can't search for it here at work, but I imagine the article is now on their website. It had a complete listing of all the sizes and features of each.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

I like my 230 and plan on keeping it running for as long as I can. If/when it goes South, I plan on finding another 230 or at least another I6. I really like the I6's for their low end torque.

For anyone interested in I6's, you should check this place out. http://www.cliffordperformance.com

Just don't call them and ask about 230 parts. They get real confused and start thinking it is a crank call. I did that a few years ago and they told me there was no such engine as a Kaiser 230.

They do know the normal I6 engines very well.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Rollie had one with a 292 conversion and he said it gave a bity more power than the 230 while giving modern parts and retained a kind of stock look with the 6....not a real powerhouse but more efficient than a 350 with a good power level for the truck.
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

292's only came in pickups and medium duty trucks. Easiest way to pick them out is to look where the engine mounts bolt on. 292's are offset and all others are equal distance from rear of block for both sides.

Had quite a few of the 292's in the fleet I service before they were swapped for 4BT's . Great little engine that held up to alot of abuse . Only real problem was blowing out the exhaust manifold gaskets when they got some age on them .

I asked because I'm pretty well aware of the six-poppers, both the straights and the V motors GMC loved so much. Fun enough, sure, but they were never anything we ever looked at seriously rebuilding or swapping INTO another vehicle because they offer nothing on their own merits. You can tune a small block to do anything better. Better mileage, better low end, better high end, better durability, whatever. You can usually have several "betters" at once. Just a matter of what you want to build.

Cost wise there's just not a lot of difference. I know a couple guys that build the crap out of these things for trucks, too. Never understood it and never got any answer of "why" from them, either. Best I could get was "we like 'em". OK, whatever, I was just curious regarding the motivation. Like I'm one to talk. Personally a sbc is something to take out and stuff a big block BOP or C motor in place of so I have no problem with oddball engines.