Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Custom wheels

Default Custom wheels

I emailed Stockton Wheel the other day about some new 16x8 w/ 6" b.s. Power Wagon II - 24 Series wheels for the 715. They replied with a quote of $357 each plus shipping.

I received a similar quote from them over the phone in March of '06 and they were about $230 each, but at that time I did not give them the backspacing specifications I required. So, I'm thinking that the Dodge trucks use a different or "standard" backspacing, and my custom specification has created the price discrepancy.

I've got some of their standard Power Wagon wheels and told them so; I even indicated to them that I really think they're a good quality wheel. I was hoping that they'd at least cut me a deal, since I've spent some money with them in the past, or at least offer me a trade-in on my current set. All I wrote was that I just didn't like the 5" backspacing, because the tires throw too much mud on my mirrors, which is the reason I'm in the market for new wheels anyway.

I mean $357 each is a lot of money when you're talking about five wheels, and then you've got shipping of about $25 a piece on top of that price. It's not like I'm made out of money, and you'd think they cut some kind of a discount for a returning customer. I do that for my business clients all the time. I guess they figure that I won't be a long lasting account or something, like my clients are in the construction business, but still?

If anyone has a connection down there at Stockton Wheel or have purchased some of their products in the recent past, I'd love to hear from you.

Also, if anyone has any options for me in my pursuit of new "stock-like" one piece wheels for the Kaiser, please speak up. Who knew that chrome wheels would be so expensive?

CHROME? I guess that is your choice...
    Every Stockton wheel is a good wheel that I have had. The price seems high tho. At $65 to $70 per hour that is 5 hours on each wheel plus the nickle plating and chrome top finish. I could see that much time in it for me.. but for a shop that produces them.... that is high.

Keep looking... I want to do the same, but with 8 lug for my chevy axles. I may end up building them myself.

Mine Are 245.00 Each

You ought to look in your area to see what you can find. There are two "wheel" shops within 45 minutes of me. One guy makes rims for anything - trucks, car, motorcycles. He is a true genius and his work is impeccable. I've had him widen stock rims and repair/straighten rims. He widened 15x6 rims into 15x10's for $75 a piece a few years back. A buddy of mine hit a curb with his Viper and the 18x13" rim was bent. The guy straightened the rim to perfection and when he took it to the tire shop to have the tire put on, the rim spun perfect on the balancer and required barely any weight to get it balanced. I think he charged my buddy $100 to fix that rim...
    I am thinking of calling him and seeing what he would want to cut the centers out of a stock M715 rim and put them in a 16.5" rim. Eliminate the split rim and be able to run hummer tires which seem to be more plentiful than 16" tires.

Quote Originally Posted by BCOWANWHEELS View Post
    Mine Are 245.00 Each
    Bob, is that using our stock centers? And what size wheel would those be put on? 16 or 16.5"? Or either? And any offset we want (within reason)?

In your experience, what does shipping run to send you the centers and have the completed wheel returned, assuming your price does not include shipping?
    -- Tim Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by BCOWANWHEELS View Post
    Mine Are 245.00 Each
    Bob Cowan,

SOLD!

Please confirm that your wheels are stock-like pattern 16"d x 8"w with 6" backspacing and a chrome finish.

I do not have stockers to trade for cores, so let me know how that can be worked out.

Bob will be along shortly I am sure, but his wheels use the stock centers and are powder-coated black. My set is very well-built.

As for chrome... well let's just say it's not MV-appropriate.

sorry no chrome...... but price is same for 16" or 16.5, 8" or 10" wide. if you dont have core wheels i have a few in stock i can use for you.as far as back spaceing when using the stock centers were limited to what offset we can use. i set em in as far as i can and still clear the brake drums and or rotors . they come real close to the outer lip of the flare no matter what size i build . i wish i could go in a couple more inches but it just wont work, it hits the drum or rotor. barrman contact me personally on your needs.
    bob
    Last edited by BCOWANWHEELS; March 26th, 2007 at 02:58 AM.

Bob

Do you have a number I can call you at. I am looking for some 17's. What rim are you using. I currently have a set of 15x10 that used stockton rims and stock centers, they have a huge lip inside so I don't need badlocks for my 44,s

thanks Mike Green
    my e-mail billyji@hotmail.com

Default wheels

well im more confusedsed then i was before, im doing a disc brake conversion from ugly truckilng what wheels can i run
    im a new b thanks and les bonton rulet.