Thread: Making progress

Default Making progress

Well, engine and transmission are in, along with the radiator and front clip. Turn signal is wired and keyed ignition switch. I have the 3 lever working wired according to the manuals but I am not sure about the functionality (need to find that post from a while back about what its supposed to be doing in the switch positions). I finally got the 300 6cyl started although pouring gas in the float bowl to prime the fuel pump took forever. It finally primed after about 20 pours and running the battery dead (for some reason it refused to do more than hit a lick with gas in the float bowl). I got it started but it needs some timing work or a vacum leak fixed as it sounds like its going to wind through the roof. Mech oil guage hose sprang a leak and squirted oil all over the engine compartment (always fun). I removed the rear tail light covers to replace the bulbs and found them so full of rust and white oxidation I don't know how they ever worked (and the bulbs came apart instead of coming out of the rusted sockets).

So now all I lack is axles, brakes and some better guages before heading to Texas =) At least I feel like I am making progress even if it took me almost 2 days to figure out how to wire a turn signal switch....

Don't feel bad... It took me longer than two days!

On the 3-lever switch, the top lever (OFF is centered at 12 o'clock) moved one click left (counter-clockwise) turns on your black-out lights, then one more click left turns on the hood-mounted black-out driving light.

Moving that lever to the right requires you to lift up on the lower right lever to "unlock" it. One click turns on power to the brake lights and the turn signals, and two clicks turns on the headlights.

Lower left lever dims and brightens the dash panel lights and turns on the parking lights (I think when another lever is in a particular position--I forget).

Good luck and enjoy!
    -- Tim Taylor