Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: door to cab seals

Quote Originally Posted by rpgdeity View Post
    ...The only way this would be feasible would be to run a large number of parts. This might not be hard to do, as it seems many many people would like this part.
    True, but I believe manufacturers would be thinking in terms of 100,000 sets rather than the 100.000 or so we've scared up!
    -- Tim Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by Binford View Post
    The guy who was going to look into making them for us all is VaM715 from the PseudoZone site. I have sent him an e-mail to ask for a status report on getting them made. I'll keep you posted here on what I find out.
    Hey Tim...

If and when these door seals get manufactured i had also put my name in for a set both doors. how did the vacation go, i got one of the radio's we talked about with no problem.
    Talk to you soon.

Walter Webster
    MVPA # 4647
    Chilliwack B.C.

Tim, do you remember about how many people said they wanted a set, from the thread on the Psuedo Zone? Was it roughly 100? I can't get to the old zone (if its even still up) to see if I can find that thread.

You can still get to the PseudoZone by going to: http://m715zone.proboards102.com/

To recap, VaM715 said he was going to get an estimate on what the cost would actually turn out to be. Obviously the more who want them the better. He gave a very rough preliminary estimate that a full 2-door set of seals would run about $100.

Let's see, here are the Zoners who said they wanted to order a set of door seals, with the minimum number of seals they said they wanted:

1 fsjguy
    2 over2land
    6 kwai
    12 robertcowan (possibly 24)
    2 boghog (possibly 3)
    2 fisherman
    1 brute4c
    2 bbm715
    1 BinfordM715 (possibly 2)
    2 Barrman
    1 gonz
    2 40grit
    1 tomcat (possibly 2)
    3 wi715
    2 teking
    1 bluesman2a
    1 snuffy
    1 Bulldawg67
    1 knave
    1 texan (possibly 2)
    1 kaiserjeeps
    1 xjchief (possibly 2)
    1 porkchop
    1 mrsofttail
    1 shepsjeep
    1 rip68
    1 vrod02
    1 alex
    1 hondo100
    1 grantshire
    1 steve715
    1 tacoma
    1 Hetzer
    1 fng
    1 green goat
    1 MarknessMadder (possibly 2)
    1 ColHart
    1 compexp
    1 agengr
    1 carmen
    1 rpgdeity
    1 webstercj8
    1 jlogan
    1 Calpyro
    1 CAP
    1 Armada
    1 robsgp
    1 archjr
    1 no3shopset
    1 countcv61
    1 cvs1
    1 warwick
    1 gilberto
    1 lbuck78 (possibly 2)
    1 ChalkOutline
    1 pghjeeper

total/possible
    81 / 99

That's from the thread "Who was willing to repro the cab door corner seals" and the original "Door seal" thread as well. I think there may have been a previous thread about this as well. I'll look later. But this is the list as of that point. Again, no one is committed until a solid price is given.

As others post up here that they want them, I will edit this list to add them in, such as I just did with FNG.

So post up!
    Last edited by Binford; June 1st, 2008 at 11:17 AM. Reason: Updated the list
    -- Tim Taylor

Add FNG to that list please. One set.

Quote Originally Posted by Binford View Post
    ...here are the Zoners who said they wanted to order a set of door seals...
    Thanks a lot, Binford!

I just knew that you would forget. I even reminded you about five posts ago...and I thought we were friends.

I guess I'll just figure out how to make my own seals.

I didn't think to look on this thread! I just counted those on the old PseudoZone list. Sorry. You're on there now. (Heh, heh, heh....)

I added Green Goat as interested in 1 set as well. That's an assumption on my part, since you started this thread!
    -- Tim Taylor

Yes I had intended to get a set I have talked with three different places here that do injection molding and they have all said that it run thousands of dollars just for the molds. That seems a little out there but I have nothing to base this on so they might not be just brushing me off. None of them have offered any suggestions other than to find some weatherstipping that is already manufactured, sounds like just rigging something to me. The machine shop I use has all that computer program mill stuff so I'll talk with them Monday and see if they have done this or have any ideas. I'm trying to get somewhere on this just working 12hr. days right now.

Well I'm willing to work with you on this. There is about a dozen companies surrounding me that do injection molding. Simply out of curiousity, and possibly pheasability for us, I'd like to see what they charge to make parts. You are correct in that THE most expensive and time consuming part would be the die. I'm sure that the companies would love to make your die for you, considering they could easily keep a couple of their drafters/machinists busy at who-knows-what incredibly high hourly wage. I have a retired tool and die maker for a neighbor, my machinist instructor at the college, and some guys at work who might have some insight into making the dies. I'll let everyone know what I find out.

Add me to the list. I can also help with modeling... I have Solidworks 2007 and do all my designs with it.

I haven't done any injection molding tooling, but am willing to learn and design for the cause.