Thread: H-pipe placement for dual exhaust ??

Default H-pipe placement for dual exhaust ??

Flowmaster finally released their super 44 mufflers. I got two on the way.
    Exhaust will be installed within 2 weeks, then its time to fire the 502.

Best place I see to put an H-pipe is behind transfercase on my truck,to keep it up high.

Is this to far back from the motor to work properly ?

Should I even bother using one ?

My understanding is that an H pipe does 2 things: 1) helps equalize the pressure from side to side, and 2) increases lower end torque. I would think it would be fine there, if nothing else would equalize the pressure.

Might cook the xfer case a bit though.

Better than nothing but you really want it as close to the motor as possible. Also I prefer an x pipe but that's opinion I guess

Look at your fuel tank. Most people that run V8's either dump the exhaust under the corners of the cab on each side or bring the drivers side pipe over to the passenger side right behind the t-case. If you are running your pipes to the rear with the stock fuel tank installed, you will need to have the pipes next to each other from the rear of the cab all the way back. It should be real easy to put a 2 or 3" pipe between the two anywhere in there.

I realize that for performance reasons you should place the H pipe at a specific place. Unless you make a U shaped pipe under the short shaft, you are really kind of limited on these trucks.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Not withstanding the limitations of your components, I've always thought the best place was indicated by where a crayon mark drawn horizontally along your pipes starts to melt-or stops melting if you think about it. I read up on this but don't remember all the details. You should be able to google it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Barrman View Post
    Look at your fuel tank. Most people that run V8's either dump the exhaust under the corners of the cab on each side or bring the drivers side pipe over to the passenger side right behind the t-case. If you are running your pipes to the rear with the stock fuel tank installed, you will need to have the pipes next to each other from the rear of the cab all the way back. It should be real easy to put a 2 or 3" pipe between the two anywhere in there.

I realize that for performance reasons you should place the H pipe at a specific place. Unless you make a U shaped pipe under the short shaft, you are really kind of limited on these trucks.

I have put the gas tank in the bed. I have a large 4 1/2" hole just behind the rear fender , due to the fact my truck had a rear gas tank. I am thinking of cutting a hole on the other side and having the exhaust pipe exit there. I will machine some aluminum plates and have them anodized black to give the truck a cleaner look. This is the best way I have thought of eliminating the hole. It will also keep the pipes up high.

What is a Flowmaster Super 44? How is it different from, say, a regular 40 series?

Quote Originally Posted by DNL View Post
    What is a Flowmaster Super 44? How is it different from, say, a regular 40 series?

They are supposed to have a more aggressive sound, and are smaller in size for better fitment.

By connecting the two sides of the exhaust system the scavenging efficiency is improved. An H-pipe works well for applications requiring torque-- it provides slightly more backpressure, whereas the X-pipe is more efficient at scavenging exhaust gases and therefore is better for horsepower and top end.
    Reviewing a 20 year old car craft mag-it appears the shape of an h pipe isnt really important (it could be a rectangle or sqaure if easier to fab up). An x pipe needs to be the same size as the rest of the exhaust or you'll effect flow.