Thread: Dodge 5.9 Magnum swap

Default Dodge 5.9 Magnum swap

Has anyone dropped a Dodge 5.9 magnum engine in? I was given a 1996 2500 pickup and was thinking it might work to replace my stock engine with the magnum. maby put a nv4500 behind it an then a np205.Can it be done without major body fab?

Yes, it's not a big deal, just weld in the mounts and go. I put a LA series 318 and just had to massage the firewall a little for valve cover clearance. I was trying to set the engine back as far as possible to get the shifter tower on the NP435 4 spd to line up with the hole in the trans tunnel and to get as much fan/radiator clearance as possible. If using a electric fan, and if you don't care much about modifying the shifter location and angle, up probably wouldn't have to get into the firewall at all. A tape measure is your friend.
    -What We Have, We Hold-

A 1996 motor probably has EFI on it no? You will probably have to hook up the computer to make the thing run unless you plan on switching intake manifold so that you can run a carb if that is even possible. Otherwise like stated above it's just a matter of mesurring and alighnment.
    Zone holster maker

My 1996 360 in the full size van is MPI....good power increase over the carb/throttle body versions from the past...
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

There are dual and single plane carburator intakes for the Magnum series V8s from Mopar.
    -What We Have, We Hold-