Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Considering Rockwells....

Default Considering Rockwells....

Before I proceed with my truck and put any extra cash into the 14bolt/Dana 60 set up, I want to explore the Rockwell option. I was planning on running 40-42" tires, and the truck will see a fair amount of local road use. Are there any down sides to these axles for 'daily' use?

Gearing. Brakes. Weight. The cost of rims you can use. Tires. 42's are really the smallest tire you'd want to use with Rockwells.... and then there are the clearance issues. Tommer's truck has self-clearanced the oil pan. So there are some issues....

Anything else? hehehehehhehe on the other hand, I have easy access to Rockwells and I do need a 60/14bolt. (just the 60, really, but I can use the 14 bolt too. For something else. )

You know where to reach me.

Access to axles isn't an issue, Eastern Surplus is a quick drive and I've been watching a few potential donor trucks. I still have the ability to lift the engine slightly for clearance. I can only see the benfits at this point.

Just remember the 6.72:1 gearing. And the brakes.

How much is Eastern asking? They're a grand a pair here. And I do go like uhhhh near you or something.

6.72 should put me somewhere near 2500rpm @ 60mph, which the truck will probably rarely see.

Right now, I'm looking at my current axles thinking.....lockers,r&p's,axles,joints,brakes,sea ls,bearings,etc., if I have to put the cash out, I might as well do it right.

I'm trying really hard to find the downside.

eeeehhhhh yeah, but.... (I am not discouraging you, just talkin' here)

Price out Rockwell lockers, lockout hubs, bearings etc... and having to deal w/ the chunk. Wheel brakes, if you're not going to run the stock drums, are like a thousand bucks an end. You'll need custom rims, whether 20's or some re-centered smaller ones. Check PA's height laws caaaaarefully... even w/42's they may put you over the limit.

Selectro's for the Rocks are like $600 a pair? or more, can't remember. Lockers are around that, and it's either Ouverson or a Detroit. The ARB's, when available, will be a grand a pop.

I"m just sayin'. It might be cheaper to keep them thar CUCV axles.

Now, no more rational talk. I'm all for it, especially if you get some pool-shaped magnets for the doors. Plus, that might actually hold up on the Philadelphia streets.

Well, I think I'll take a closer look at Velvet. I have to go to Pittsburgh next weekend, maybe I'll stop to see Chappps on the way.

Right on, Tom's right on the way.

heheheheh Oh yeah, you're taking me to something in Philly this time. I don't care what (since you don't roll like Doug, with the boas and the frilly stuff), but it I have been down there a million times and not seen anything worth seeing yet. So have a clear Friday or Saturday, get a sitter for your 5 kids, and lock the dogs in the garage dang it.

When are you coming out here?? Probably right in the middle of my busy season...again.

What are Rockwells going for out your way???

rocks $1000
    ouverson lockers $485X2
    disc brakes roughly $600 in parts and 1 case budwieser for station machinist to lathe
    no lockouts yet
    custom stazworks rims $1400 for 20x11 double beadlocks
    tars $600 for 4 real nice 395R20's (46")

it adds up...but so does the other axle choices...

p.s. Tacoma, you have to check with Pam, pooly has no choice in or control over his schedule...