Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Michelin XL failure ~gasp!~

Default Michelin XL failure ~gasp!~

I went for a quick cruise, breaking all the rules of desert 4x4 travel except the one about hauling a spare tire. It's mid 90's out here with zero shade. I was travelling alone in shorts and flip-flops, no sunscreen, no big floppy hat, no water, 7-1/2 miles to pavement.

About 1/4 mile from the canyon entrance at the Big Four mine I paused to let the cooling system catch up and heard a solid "fssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhh" with each wheel revolution. Knowing what was up, I turned around and tried to haul tail back home to change tires either in the shade or after sundown (not at 3pm). I made about 2 miles before I could tell the truck was doing the 3-wheel motion and had no choice but to change the tire there - the air impact sure made the job pleasurable considering the circumstances.

Here's what happens at 30-40 mph with no air (I was running about 14 psi before this happened - sure rides smooth at that pressure):

This tire was in pretty bad shape to begin with. It had a sidewall cut running from the wheel to just below the tread (where one of the big holes is now) but it never gave any troubles on a couple of 500 mile round trip freeway runs. You can also see some of the other pre-existing damage in the pics. I think I hit a cactus spine this time around and driving on the flat caused the tire to split like it did. At least it only went flat on the bottom! Oh, the crack in pic 3 was there before today - I just wanted something to zoom in on.

Wanted: one or more XL's from Owens Valley to Las Vegas.

Chris

Yikes! Glad it didn't let go at a higher speed.

How'd you get your tire back INTO the truck? Those things are HEAVY!!!

Aren't those tires run-flats?
    Zone holster maker

Quote Originally Posted by FSJGuy View Post
    Yikes! Glad it didn't let go at a higher speed.

How'd you get your tire back INTO the truck? Those things are HEAVY!!!

You can see one of my two 2x8 sandladder/tire ramps in the bed next to my flat tire. But yea, I gave up on trying to lift them in.

Chris

Not when you put a tube in them and use them on a m715.

Otoh, if he hadn't driven on the flat tire he probably wouldn't have shredded it.

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyPabst View Post
    You can see one of my two 2x8 sandladder/tire ramps in the bed next to my flat tire. But yea, I gave up on trying to lift them in.

Chris
    Good to know. I thought I was just really wimpy. Ramps for the tire. I gotta remember that. Good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by FSJGuy View Post
    I thought I was just really wimpy.

Nothing's changed, Ethan. Conservatives have more energy.

hhehehe

"Utah man killed by Ft. Collins photographer, story at 11"

At least it didnt leave you stuck waaaay out in the middle a nowheres...sorry Chris.
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

Quote Originally Posted by tacoma View Post
    Nothing's changed, Ethan. Conservatives have more energy.

hhehehe

"Utah man killed by Ft. Collins photographer, story at 11"
    LOL!!! Remember, you usually pass through Cheyenne and it's not that big of a town....

Those tires look pretty dryrotted to me anyway...what was the 4 digit date code on the tire??