Thread: Rust removal ?

Default Rust removal ?

I pulled the truck out of storage over the weekend and found the floors with a good amount of light rust where the paint had been rubbed clean.

What are the best methods used to remove the rust and coat the surface to prevent further rust?

In the meantime, I sprayed the areas with oil and scrubbed a little with steel wool before putting the truck back in storage.

Thanks in advance for any and all replies.

Some guys have used POR-15, others have tried various other rust removal compounds.

I wire-brush my stuff, then use etch primer or the rustoleum rusty metal primer.

i've used durabak coating for my floors. stuff is bullet proof.
    ian
    Formerly 1967 M715 #13889

If the rust is just surface then a wire brush, wire wheel or even a grinder (be careful not to grind to much) will remove the rust. Even Navel(sP?) jelly will remove surface rust.

Then a good primer and paint or POR-15 or similar product like listed above.
    Zone holster maker

I agree with Rich, Rustoleum rusty metal primer works great. I just got some cans of rust converter that I need to try, will let you know how it works.

Wonder how well the molasas 5-1 solution would work. Supposedly the acid eats the rust but leaves metal and paint alone.

Most people seem to mix it in a bucket and soak the parts for a couple days...may want to dry out and make a mess on a flat surface?
    This post is closed-captioned for the hearing impaired.

Remove the loose stuff...wire brush or whatever. Spray it with phosphuric acid, available at any hardware store for ~$10/gal. Then treat it to what ever finish you like. POR-15 is great stuff, but for floors and stuff, I prefer rustoleum primer then some Herculiner.