Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I"m Not Getting This! (power Str.)

Default I"m Not Getting This! (power Str.)

Okay, so I bought the power assist ram and brackets from B.Cowan. Got a new (used) Saginaw 76 box, and a stock power steering pump from the engine (SBC) I bought (It has ONE HP hose fitting and a curled under metal line out the bottom ).
    I can do the hardware stuff, welding on the ram and brackets, but my question is plumbing...Ok, I'm not seeing something obvious but what gets plumbed to what?
    The ram I have from Bob has two hoses which I assume hook up to the PS box, but since there are only two holes in the PS box, how does the PS pump get fluid to the box too? It looks like there is a manifold/block missing or something like an extra piece I don't have?
    I mean fluid has to flow from the pump reservoir to the box to the ram and return....AIN'T ENOUGH HOLES in the boxes.....
    To save all of you the trouble..."OK, FNG is retarded." Now, none of you has to say it out loud on here.
    Can sombody please explain in the lowest understandable terms how this is supposed to hook up? Maybe a simple picture type schematic? Maybe a pic of thier installed unit.
    I have the motor ready for final drop in but need to get this done first so I can room to move around. Thanks guys.

Ps I searched the archive already but no soap...

This post is closed-captioned for the hearing impaired.

You mean I've got to tap into the power steering box???? Why didn't anyone mention this before? Is this the only alternative?

You can buy them already taped or send it off and have it done.. Short of an orbital valve to completely replace the power steering box that is the only way to do it.

Hmmm, do you have a source?

Yep you can send it to these guys http://westtexasoffroad.homestead.com/index.html
    and they will do it for $125. Or you could do it yourself (I have never tried it so don't have a clue whats involved).. I have only used orbital valves myself but they were trail only machines. I am sure there are other people out there that can do the machine work, but this company was the ones that came out and competed against PSC (I think) that made the stuff first and were $$$$$.

Holy smokes.

I am serious. IT IS NOT THAT HARD TO TAP THE BOX!!!

But I guess you didn't even look into what it takes to do hydro assist before you ponied up the cash LOL Let that be a lesson to ye, yaaaaargh

tacoma, that price from west texas offroad is for rebuilding and tapping your steering box.

West Texas does a great job. That's a fair price for the labor involved.

What I was shaking my head at was that someone would order up a hydro assist kit without knowing that you need to tap the frickin' box! That's like... how do you do that? Just say "I need hydro assist.... but I don't know anything about how it works... ho hum".

This is a great and free country. Hooray for capitalism!

I have seen another method that seems a bit easier. I have not tried either, but this one looks like less work:

http://www.members.tripod.com/surfmac/65html

http://www.members.tripod.com/surfmac/65html