Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Machine shop with large lathe?

Default Machine shop with large lathe?

Hello,
    Does anyone know of a machine shop (preferably near CT) with a large lathe capable of swinging 18"? I need to have some machining done on my M715's rims.
    Thank you.
    Mikel

Heh, one of the local shops has several, one capable of about 4' dia and about 30' long. They would charge way more than what you are interested in paying for sure.
    -What We Have, We Hold-

Trans Bay Steel in Napa CA has a lathe that can accommodate 12' X 110', biggest on the left coast. I think they can put the whole truck in it.

Thanks, that really helps

Seriously though, it shouldn't be hard to find a shop with a large lathe. Hell, we had one in school that would do something the size of rims. Don't look at automotive machine shops, look at fabrication shops that cater more to industrial companies and ship building or similar.
    -What We Have, We Hold-

A friend of a friend will do them (including drilling the new lug pattern) on a CNC miller for $20 a piece

I'm converting my M715 rims to eight lug pattern so I can run my original rims with modern axles. I welded an insert and filled the old holes. Now I need to make the mounting surface concentric to the OD of the rim.

That looks good. Do you have any before pics of what you did?

WOW, you sure got that tempered steel hot when you welded it .... bet it warped it also....... good luck..... and mikel a lathe wont cut the rims. there hi tempered steel. i,ve tried it several times. from my sperience makin wheels for 15 yrs.
    bob

Quote Originally Posted by BCOWANWHEELS View Post
    WOW, you sure got that tempered steel hot when you welded it .... bet it warped it also....... good luck..... and mikel a lathe wont cut the rims. there hi tempered steel. i,ve tried it several times. from my sperience makin wheels for 15 yrs.
    bob
    ??? A lathe should easily handle the plate he welded in the center...if I'm correct he wants to chuck the rim of the wheel up and index the new lug holes accordingly.

Martin

Oh Bob....

It's been done before, and it will be done again.