Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Saturday Play Time

Flat paint hides a multitude of sins...
    Zone holster maker

forklift, that's the way to go.

congrats to you on all the forward motion.

Default Spring hanger work

Ok... fathers day I claimed it to work on the truck... They all thought I was crazy for going to the shop. My family actually came and brought gifts to me while I was in the shop working.

Moved the frame into the cool shade of the shop. Ground away the old spring hangers, leaving the vertical weld cut to mark center of spring bushings.

Fabbed up some spring hangers to weld in place under the frame to match the D60 axle from the '84 CUCV.

Tacked the rear hangers in the exact same location as the previous hangers bushing center was. Placed the freshly powdercoated spring assemblies with the front spring hanger attached to located the front hanger correctly.

Completed placement of both spring assemblies now tacked in place. Removed spring assemblies then welded brackets to frame. Had to cut a small section from the steering box mount to allow for the new hanger bracket. I will come back later and weld in gussets and cut a larger opening so attaching the new box wont be such a pain as the stock one was.

OH... got my 14 bolt disc brake brackets in... powdercoated them and assembled them. I am going to cut the spring perches off and the shock mounts off the axle and relocated the perches to match the existing springs on the M715.

Go Ahead, Make my day

Great progress! Nice lookin' dog, too. <g>

nice......can you please send me a pm about how to convert to disk breaks?

I can only wish for your skills....GREAT WORK!!

That powder coated caliper bracket looks so cool.

You should powdercoat a modern IFS and take it to the SEMA show. All those bling, bling types will flood you with orders.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

OK, it looks as if the spring mounts are sitting right on the frame rails? When Jp mag built "Hot Dog" for TTC, they used M.O.R.E. brackets, mounted to the frame rails, and stated they were 32" o/c. If this IS the case, it seems this would be the way to go? Really looks good!

Looking good but why only two leaves or is that just to find your center? I noticed the other day when I picked up the calipers that when comparing the two different piston sizes available that both fit the bracketsexcept for one little ear that is on the larger caliper. I think it could be ground off and use the big ones on our trucks so long as the pads aren't too wide for the rotor surface.

Quote Originally Posted by ColHart View Post
    OH... got my 14 bolt disc brake brackets in... powdercoated them and assembled them. I am going to cut the spring perches off and the shock mounts off the axle and relocated the perches to match the existing springs on the M715.

If I'm reading this correctly in that you are keeping the stock spring mounts for the rear spring packs, I can see two issues you're going to have here:

1) You'll need to re-clock your calipers DOWN. In this position they will either hit the spring-packs or you will not be able to remove the pins for the caliper.

2) Your caliper bracket bolts will be too long, they will hit the u-bolts. On mine I had to get them just flush with the flange.

Here's a link to pics of mine mounted (link is down at the moment, but look under the axle thread when it comes up): http://www.sjmembers.com/gallery/vie...albumName=herb