Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Saturday Play Time

Default Saturday Play Time

Some of you have been through this several times... so it will bring back memories. Plus I wanted to brag about our weather today.

Put in a full day work at the shop, then it was time to play. My goal was to get the Cab and bed off. I had 3 hours left of daylight.

Here it is at 3:00pm with the 6.2L waiting to be swapped... I keep hoping that I will come into the shop one day and little elves will have done it.

Cab on!

With a little elbo grease and a angle grinder cut off wheel, oh and a fork lift.

A lot more cutting and...

No more cab and bed... 3 hours including a bit of clean up.

Stock rolling chassis.... what shall we do next?

Built this bumper last weekend for the BII... Just cause I couldn't work outside on the Truck.

A flat slab and a forklift, and space to manouver, I'm turning green! It's fun when you've got the facilities. Good start!

Quote Originally Posted by ColHart View Post
    I keep hoping that I will come into the shop one day and little elves will have done it.
    Weird, I said the same thing about reassembling my 14bolt today.

Looks good, you got some solid work done today!

When I was taking apart all the link, wiring, and bolts to lift the cab, I found what looked like stock wiring to an ignition key switch tucked in behind the dash. The wires had the waterproof disconnects just like the stock spark plug wires.

It was issued to the Navy. Anyone know of a kit to add the ignition switch? What got me is that the starter had no coil or anything, so I couldn't tell how it would work. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to start it due to it's condition when I purchased it.

Default 14 bolt rebuild

Finally was able to work some more on ColHart, yeah that is the name of my M715.

I taught my kid how to weld a bit by building up axle stands.

We lifted the axle with a forklift... Pulled the axles out...

Pulled the locking pin, retaining nut.

With only 17,000 miles on these original axles, even the drum brakes looked good. Too bad they wont fit under the M715. I told the kid to throw them away... He asked why we couldn't sell them... I like the way he thinks!!

I used an ironworker to press the lugs out so I could remove the drums. Made
    easy work out of it.

Now I have to wait for my caliper brackets to come in and steal some calipers and rotors off another cheby.

I got my new powder in for powdercoating the truck... I couldn't wait to check the color out, so I pulled some parts that were easy to blast and coat. What do you think? I like it, and so did a lot of customers that came in and saw them on the table. It's not a perfect match to your paint... but it will be awesome all done.

I think I will do the frame in black, mix up the suspension with OD and black. Axles in OD. I'm looking for a set of Humvee wheels to modify with the oil can centers The inners will be black the bead locks in OD.

Go Ahead, Make my day

looks like great work! I'm envious of your facilities to work on trucks in.

If you do decide to pitch those axles, let's chat about the brake shoes please!
    67 M725 67 M715 68 M715

Any way to flatten out the poweder coating? Glossy on MVs is a sin in my book... The parts look good. Poweder coating is the cats peejays if you ask me.
    Zone holster maker

Nice. I like that green color. While I agree that semi-gloss is good, I kind of like this glossy like that. Has a "deep" look to it, is the best way I can describe the color.
    -- Tim Taylor

Wow, thats sweet. I even like the color too. Wish I had your shop area instead of a cramped 2 car garage half full of junk.

I can mix a flattener into the powder. It came in around what they call a 80/90% gloss... Semi gloss comes in around 50/60% and flat usually around 10%. I like the gloss, it stays clean longer, the dust seems to fall off just driving around.

I thought the same thing about the gloss.... that I should flatten it, looking at it everytime I go to the shop, I like the color variances from the light on the gloss. I'm afraid that the gloss will show any imperfection in the body and there are a lot of imperfections in my truck! Tough decision!
    Go Ahead, Make my day