Thread: troubleshoot?

Default troubleshoot?

Hope someone here has had this before or some ideas. I started having problems with my turn signals today. At first they were working part of the time to the left and not working others and then this afternoon both sides have stopped flashing. The lights all come on but don't flash and the one on the lever doesn't come on at all. Its all still 24v with original lights and has the solid state flasher unit. Thanks for any input you can give.

I would disconnect the wires from the flasher and try to turn the signals to the L & R. Make sure there is power beening being sent. Figure that would rule out the signal unit on the steering wheel. Then try the "flash unit".

Personally I have 12v.

Thanks Kaiser. I figured it would be the process of elimination just hoping someone knew of a "problem area" on our trucks.

I've had problems w/ heat melting the inside of my turnsignal switch. the contact sit on plastic posts and if they get hot, they melt into the post just enough so the contacts don't close. My truck is a daily driver and gets alot of use... I have to take my switch apart 2x a year and dress the posts so that the contact close properly. I have talked to others that have had the same issue, maybe you do too.

Thanks I'll check it out. I got in to run an errand and they were working this morning and haven't had a problem so far today. Thinking it may be a ground or something to come and go like that.

I would check the switch on the colume, to eliminate it but I would bet it is the flasher unit. There should be three wires coming out of the flasher unit. one of them goes to ground check that wire to make sure it is ok.
    Zone holster maker

Hey, Goat, do you have the old-style or the solid state turn signal switch setup? (Huge, obnoxious box on the firewall, or a small, tidy black one with heat sink on it?) Might make a difference in the answers/help you get.
    -- Tim Taylor