Thread: Squealer

Default Squealer

I'm pretty fair with the electrical stuff but I'm confused on this one.

When I put my charging setup together, I had a virtually new Bosch alternator off a Deere 6 cylinder. Little lower amperage than what I'd like but hey, it was a freebie. 60 amps I think it is.

So when I did the hurry up to get it running to go on the move truck it squealed with the electric fan when I ran the rpms up. Pretty much anything above say, 1500 rpm. Hmm, interesting. I figured it was the way I had it wired in, though I couldn't tell you why. It was hooked to the switched side of the key switch.

I know it's the fan cause if I unplug it, no squeal from the alternator. It's got a serpentine set-up so I don't think its belt tension.

I popped for a new 100 amp GM type single wire alternator and a continuous duty solenoid to run the fan and other accessories/circuits, since I'm doing some re-wiring anyway. Installed it, charges well, but I've still got the squeal.

Any ideas?

Is this a 12v conversion?

Removed the stock set-up completely. Put in a Ford 5.0 and a ZF five speed.

Pulled all the wiring out. So it's beyond "conversion".

could it just be an old belt that's kinda oxidized from sitting and needs to settle in and get some fresh rubber "showing"? the squeal may be it slipping a little as it changes speed? maybe?

I'm with 40grit ---"may be it slipping a little".

My rudimentary way of checking for belt noise is to pour some water on the belts and pulleys with the engine off --- start the engine and see if the noise is gone.

Give it a try and let us know what you find.

Well, I had pretty much discounted that as it is a new belt. I even tightened up the adjustable arm to tighten the serpentine system more yet. (It's a March mount)

But I suppose anything is possible and I'll give it a shot tomorrow. In the middle of big T-storms right now.

I'll see if I can find some belt dressing or something. I'll report back then.

Try baby powder on the belt. If the water test shows it is a slipping belt that is.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Same opinion...increased electrical load increases the energy required to turn the alt... more drag would cause a marginal belt to slip.
    This post is closed-captioned for the hearing impaired.

Barrmans water trick did the deed. Must be slipping indeed. I had tried something similar, I don't recall what I used though. Just would not have thought it to be slipping considering everything is new, belt included.

Baby powder? You gotta be shytting me Pyle!

Hey whatever works. As long as it stops that squealing.

One thing I've learned is you might as well ask the dumb questions or at least get another reference point from time to time. Thanks for the input!
    Last edited by Hetzer; March 1st, 2007 at 08:09 PM. Reason: Censored my FMJ quote.