Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Summit Radiator

There is one Jeep radiator in a 2 core that will fit...upper hose connection is on the wrong side but a flex hose can be used there...doesnt cool as well as the stock 3 core but it works if one isnt low speed/high rpms for long periods.

There is another that can work...mounts need holes drilled, both hose locations are wrong and the drain valve is in the wrong place...this is a CJ radiator...3 core...I believe that is the Modine 583 type.

Other than that, I dont know of any Jeep ones that are close...if you have a different one than I described, it would be nice to know the application!!
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

The box of the radiator says it's from xtremeradiator.com. I looked it up on the website. I think this link will take you to it.

http://www.extremeradiator.com/store...spx?sku=583-4C

The one I have says it's for the CJ Chevy/Chrysler Conversion 583-4C. The dimensions are almost identical to the stock radiator. The width is about 1/4"-1/2" more narrow on the new radiator but I think with the slotted mounting holes on the radiator it would bolt in alright. The only significant difference I can see is the bottom radiator hose connection is about 4.5" closer horizontally to the center of the radiator. The vertical distance between the upper and the lower are both about 19". I haven't tried putting this in yet so I can't say for sure if it is truly a bolt in deal, but it looks like it to me. I hope this helps.

Looks like a 583 like I used....I had to modify mine by having the straps from the stock radiator put on in place of the ones that came on it as the supplied ones are angled on the radiator and the stock ones are straight...also moved both the upper and lower hoses on this one and the drain valve...hopefully yours is much easier to install...I see that the hose connections are correct for the 230 right off...wish I had found that a few years ago...
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

Guys,
    My problem is when at a stop light or stop and go traffic my temp. goes up to above 205-210*. Not a huge problem for a short duration, but going 4 wheeling, I don't want to sit that high! No problems going down the road. Temp stays at 160*

Engine - 427 GM
    Aluminium radiator - brand new
    160* thermo
    Flex fan - I don't think that is the best - also middle of fan is at bottom 2/3 of radiator

Any ideas an how to cool for the trail or in traffic. Or any other info needed

Thanks,
    Dave

You need a shroud of some sorts to help the fan pull the air through while you are not moving.
    When you are driving faster, it pushes the air through fine, but the fall isn't pulling enough while sitting still or going slow.

Might sound counterintuitive (and may well be wrong), but what about putting a 190* thermostat in? I've heard of this working in that the water stays in the radiator a bit longer to cool off more.

Does this fly with those who really know about this stuff (unlike me!)?

And yeah, a shroud will REALLY make a difference.
    -- Tim Taylor

I think Tim's right on with the thermostat issue. I know I used to think the complete removal would be an improvement but was proven wrong way back when on whatever POS I was hacking on then. The water can move through so quickly as to not have enough time to cool off. That said, the lack of a shroud is probably the bigger culprit in this case.

Sounds like an airflow issue certainly but 160 is too cool. You'd be better off with a 180 thermostat.

Chris

I agree about the thermostate. I have a 10.25:1 compression 396 Big Block in mine. It did fine going down the road, but would shoot up anytime I slowed down. I started with a 160 t-stat and a 180 helped a lot. Then I added the Summit radiator and that pretty much stopped it. An Edelbrock water pump made it so when the engine was off for fuel stops or something and sitting there at 220 or so on the gauge it goes almost faster than I can watch it back to 180 as soon as I start up. The old water pump would only suck it down to 190 or so and then slowly work down to 185 once I got rolling. I am talking about 90-110 degree summer days.

Theoretically, if the engine cools above 35 miles per hour, the cooling system is fine. Not cooling below 35 mph is normally thought to be an air flow problem.

Try the thermostat first and then start looking for another fan. I have heard horror stories of those FlexFans coming apart and embedding themselves in people. An electric or solid mechanical fan with a fan clutch might be a better choice.

A fan shroud will always help. So says the man who hasn't built one for his truck yet.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Guys,
    Thanks, I'll switch to the 190* even though that sounds crazy, but makes sense too! I think I'll try the electrical fan. I have tried a shroud but found with the flex fan the shroud sat half way down the radiator. Thanks again.

Dave