Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New soon to be owner (bringing one back to the Midwest)

Default New soon to be owner (bringing one back to the Midwest)

Well it is finally happening, I'm getting a M715. I've been patiently looking and hanging out at the Zone for awhile now and I finally pulled the trigger. Deposit is in the mail with a pick-up the week of March 19th. The truck is located in Golden CO and I will be driving back home here in Iowa.

I figure that the first adventure I should have is driving it home (Flying into Denver with money in hand and the only way home is a 30 year old Jeep ). It will be a long trip but I think that I have a co-worker/Jeep fan willing to accompany me. Hopefully all goes well getting it back, but it is a Jeep and that sometimes can make things interesting. Is there any fellow Zoners that, knock on wood, could help me out if things go way south on me or would want to meet up as I pass by?

Doug, keep me upto date on any Iowa FEs now that I have a ride I'll be there.

I'll post some pictures of my adventure and new toy when I get back.

I'll look for ya' when you go by. I work opposite the Sapp bros. truck stop on the west end of Omaha, at the United Van Lines warehouse. Compexp just lives down the street, maybe we can all have lunch or something. Congrat's and Good Luck!

How did you find an M715 in Colorado? I thought I had all the bases covered. Congrats. You'll have a fun trip for sure...and I thought driving an '83 CJ 600 miles was a challenge!

After all was said and done, I'd have paid double the shipping rate, so as to not apply so much abuse to the '83 drivetrain, if nothing else. That was the MOST uncomfortable drive I have ever experienced. But, I'm not trying to discourage you or anything.

You should bring a spare truck along in case you need any parts along the way. Ahh, I'm just razzin' you. Have fun and enjoy the ride. If I can offer a good piece of advise, take some ear plugs along. Aside from the humming t-case, the tractors blowing past you at 75 will give you a serious headache.
    Last edited by MarknessMonster; February 27th, 2007 at 09:32 PM.

Did you look into shipping it? I have a contact who drives a flatbed Denver to Omaha twice a week - might be able to piggyback for less than the airfare/gas.

But, if you do drive it back - give me or shooter a call. We're in Omaha, and lunch is on me.

Rich
    (402) 639-9250

i live just west of omaha by lincoln, just off intersate, need help, give me a ring.

Myron 402-610-6559

Like rich said, it would be easier to haul, long drive in my opinion

Quote Originally Posted by compexp View Post
    Did you look into shipping it? I have a contact who drives a flatbed Denver to Omaha twice a week - might be able to piggyback for less than the airfare/gas.

But, if you do drive it back - give me or shooter a call. We're in Omaha, and lunch is on me.

Rich
    (402) 639-9250
    I'm coupling the pick-up with a business trip so instead of flying into Des Moines it will be Denver on my return flight home (No expense to me). So the trip cost will be gas, food, maybe a hotel, replacement parts if required, and of course the truck. If the plans fall apart I may look into that, waiting four weeks to pick it up is going to be torture.

Default You won't miss me!

Quote Originally Posted by SHOOTER68 View Post
    I'll look for ya' when you go by. I work opposite the Sapp bros. truck stop on the west end of Omaha, at the United Van Lines warehouse. Compexp just lives down the street, maybe we can all have lunch or something. Congrat's and Good Luck!
    You definately won't miss this, it is a rainbow brite truck right now(yellow, orange, red, olive, and I'm sure a few others).

First task is to get it painted.

Cool Truck! I just got my first a couple of weeks ago so I understand your excitement. I had to put off picking up my vehicle several times because of weather and trailer problems. It was frustrating but it worked out better in the end that I waited. I don't think you will be talked out of your cross country adventure (I'd be the same way) but having the car hauled to Omaha sounds like an attractive alternative. I'm sure there are plenty of guys from the zone that will help you along the way. Good luck, take some pictures, and let us know how it goes!

Don't listen to these old guys whos butts hurt. I have driven mine lots of places and its no biggy. Oh wait, I don't have stock seats. Any hoo, take a cell phone or two and someone will offer help.

That's actually a pretty good looking truck! Congrats!

If you break down, perhaps Taco will give you a tow on his way east.

Then again, if Taco breaks down on his way east, perhaps you can give him a tow! Heh, heh, heh....
    -- Tim Taylor