Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Military Restoration versus Modified

Default Military Restoration versus Modified

I'm sure this has been debated to death here, but I got my M715 today and something unexpected happened.

I installed the troop seats and bows while unloading the bed and it looks pretty cool in that configuration.

I have a Ford 429 and C6 from a '69 Country Squire that are going into this truck and I had the intention of making a 4 door out of it using the Grand Wagoneer in the background.

So... Olive Drab and military markings or custom 4 door in flat black... or 4 door in OD... or?

For you guys that have the military restorations, do you use them for anything besides parades?

That truck looks pretty clean, I'd do the engine trans swap, paint it and run some lockout hubs and 11x16 michelins. Of course you have to paint it, OD would be my choice. I wouldn't however cut it and use the waggy parts. If your gonna do that I'd make a wheelin rig and run Mog axles or Rockwells. I just can't bring myself to cutting the factory sheetmetal on my first truck. I do however have almost a second truck to mod. later.

I'm not sure what happened with the previous owner. I have photos of the truck stripped to bare metal but the bodywork and paint appear to have been an amateur job (duct tape for masking, no primer and thick bondo in a few spots).

The passenger rocker is soft but the rest of the truck (including the floors) are very solid.

Did anyone ever do these trucks in a "winter" or "snow" camouflage?

Like I said, I'm really tempted to give it a military makeover but I'm not sure what I'd do with it after.

Go ahead and do the engine mod if you want. Paint it OD and play with it. Run it off road...get it muddy.... haul firewoood what ever floats your boat. You can always repaint it after a few years and commofladge hides many sins... The truck was made to be used so use it....just don't abuse it.
    Zone holster maker

I drive mine all the time. Usually at least 3 times a week to work. Granted I only have to commute 3 miles. And when I was coaching football I used to drive it to practice and games all the time. Now that I have the deuce also I drive it the rest of the time. I have a new 2007 superduty that I got in Oct. and I just turned 3000 miles in it finally. It will draw attention anywhere you drive it. Heck that's how I met BigMech (Lindsey), he was driving past my shop while on vacation and spotted my truck and stopped in to say hi. Also BB715 (Ron) did the same thing. I got to say that OD green with markings is the way to go.

Dave
    1967 Kaiser Jeep M715 weapons carrier:http://www.davidallenracing.com/M715.htm
    1967 Kaiser Jeep M35a2 2.5 ton cargo truck: http://www.davidallenracing.com/M35A2.htm
    Delta Team Decals: http://www.i2k.com/~schwarzd/

a 4 door? can someone start a bas#%$ization thread please? i will buy it off you just to save it. how much?
    ian
    Formerly 1967 M715 #13889

I'd never sell it to someone who would paint it red... it would rather be a crewcab.

And while I'm annoying the veterans, can someone tell me what purpose the chain welded under the driver's seat serves?
    Last edited by krek; February 26th, 2007 at 10:39 PM.

I've got a cab with rusty rear floor pan, corners and rockers to trade you if your planning to cut on that clean cab.

wow dude funny, hope you realize i bought it that way. restoring it hence dumping the big fat ugly tires that no one wants to buy. this site makes me laugh sometimes. everyone takes stuff on here soooooooo seriously.
    ian
    Formerly 1967 M715 #13889

Okay, the USMC Olive Drab color it is... my kids think the troop seats are too cool to chop up the bed so it gets the Ford BB and military cosmetics.

Seriously, what's the freakin' chain for?