Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Radiator Size

Default Radiator Size

Found a 1968 Chevelle Radiator brand new, but the dimensions are 19" tall, 34" wide and 2" thick. If I move the pass. side brace will this fit? My Rad. core support is out to paint right now so I can't just go measure. Ebay price on this brand new unit is 75 bucks, good deal or no....? Also does it matter that it is a side tank model, vs. the top and bottom like stock?
    Last edited by fng; February 26th, 2007 at 12:55 PM. Reason: left out some stuff

Way too wide to fit even with the support moved over. Moving the support gets you something like 28-1/2 inch. Mine isn't here right now to measure.

You want the 1966 or 1967 Chevelle 396 radiator which is a top/bottom tank radiator. Once GM went to the side tanks, nothing will fit the M715 series.

You could also go with the Summit aluminum one. Both are going to cost you about $180 new.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

do you have a part # for the summit radiator and is it a direct bolt in?the stock radiator did good cooling my last motor. i'm only going from a 472 to a 507"motor but it's going to be close to twice as much horsepower.i actually ordered a couple aluminum radiators,but by the time i found one that would fit it was smaller than the stock one,so i didn't use it.is there any radiator made that will fit and cool a lot better without hacking up my truck?

Summit # SUM-380328 is what I have in my M715 with a 396 behind it. I had to move the valence support on the passenger side over to the other bolt hole.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

Thanks barrman

For a stock replacement radiator that its in the stock opening without moving the radiator support on the passenger side, you can use:

Modine #289
    Specs:
    Original applications: GM
    Core size: 16.125 X 25 X 2---3 core
    Inlet header size: 2.5 X 25.25
    Outlet header size: 2.5 X 25.25
    Inlet connector size: 1.5 left side, drivers side.
    Outlet connector size: 1.75 right size, passenger side
    Type of mount: Double flange
    Oil cooler: 12"

Applications:
    All Chevy:
    3.8 liter/230 CID 6 cyl: Bel Air, Biscayne, Impala 1964-65
    3.9 liter/235 CID 6 cyl: Bel Air, Biscayne, Impala 1963
    4.1 liter/250 CID 6 cyl: Bel Air, Biscayne, Impala 1966-68
    4.7 liter/283 CID 8 cyl: Bel Air, Biscayne, Caprice, Chevelle, Impala 1966-67
    5.0 liter/307 CID 8 cyl: Bel Air, Biscayne, Impala 1968
    5.4 liter/327 CID 8 cyl: Bel Air, Biscayne, Caprice, Chevelle, Impala 1966-68
    6.6 liter/396 CID 8 cyl: Chevelle 1966-1967
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

thanks,which one will cool better?and barrman,i didn't quite understand what you had to do to mount the aluminum one,did you just have to use a different hole or did you have to do some cutting?

the one Barrman listed is bigger and most likely would be better at cooling. Thge one I listed would be a great direct replacement for a stock radiator...bigger motors than stock might be ok...but the one Barrman listed would be preffered for a 350 or larger for sure.

The mods to get the Summit radiator Barrman listed in are:

Go to the truck, lift the hood, stand on the passenger side of the radiator and look down to the frame rail area next to the radiator. The support running down the passenger edge of the radiator has a mount in a hole down there and there is another hole outboard of that one that you can move the mount over to. This is what the factory did to put in a wider radiator.
    The support is spot welded to the front panel and you need to drill out the spot welds or grind them off....then move it over to the other hole, then reweld it to the front panel and repaint.

Theres pics somewhere...maybe on the temp site....I'll try to look here in a while...
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

I just made a new thread about it.

Summit Radiator

wow!thankyou very much.i will be ordering the summit radiator right after i'm sure i have enough money to finish the new motor.