Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Daily driver M715?

Default Daily driver M715?

Hello group, I'm new and I have a quick question. My 2000 Wrangler is about to give up the ghost (yes, 2000). Its been a daily driver/offroad vehicle since 2002 and it's trashed. I've started the search for a new daily driver/work vehicle/tow vehicle and initially wanted a Chevy K30 (or M1008) but I am always trying to be a little different. I always have liked the M715, but don't know if the top speed and gas mileage are feasable for daily work travel. Don't get me wrong- I'm not terrible concerned with gas mileage. I do pay the price to drive what I want to drive. To a point, anyway. And I only drive to work about 18 miles per day, with a top speed of 45 mph. Just want to get some input on whether these trucks would be totally out of the question for road use. Gas mileage, top speed without killing the motor, etc. Thanks for you help. Jerry

Most of our trucks will go right up to 60mph, but it is not recommended for continued use as most will overheat the transfer case, and the motor is running at 3100 rpm+, so tops about 55mph, and as far as gas mileage it will vary, but I get around 10mpg. Hope this helps and Welcome to the M715Zone!

Thanks for the input. Has anyone heard of somebody adding a Gear Vendor's overdrive to the drive train? Not familiar with what type of trans and transfer case these trucks have. I plan on buying a 1967 or earlier M715 if I can find one. I heard that they have an NP200 transfer case, Dana 60 front, and Dana 70 rear. Is that correct? Other than that I don't know what engine and trans they came with (heard it's a 4spd that's it). Any other help is greatly appreciated. Thanks again. Jerry

230 OHC inline 6 cylinder engine, T98 4 speed, I believe. I doubt you could get a Gear Vendors OD to work, especially since the M715 uses a divorced transfer case configuration. Also, 1967 was the first year for the M715, so you won't find one earlier than that. 1969 was the last year of production. You can use a M715 as daily transportation and many members here do, but I wouldn't with the stock drivetrain. It's serviceable enough, but when you factor in the cost and availability of items like brake drums, water pumps, ignition components, and other oddball parts, it starts to go beyond normal everyday transportation. You can't exactly go down to the local parts store and buy a new cap and rotor to do a tune up. Hell, you can;t even buy the plugs without special ordering them. Water pumps, fuel/vacuum pumps, fuel filler hoses, radiators, and many other items must be sourced from the few remaining NOS parts from the military surplus dealers or found used in varying condition. In other words, you will be waiting a week at least to get a part if it breaks down. If I were to use a M715 for daily transportation, I'd use the frame and body and replace all other components with more modern counterparts as many M715 owners have done. With civilian or CUCV components, you can get most parts to do normal repairs and maintenance from any local parts store. Just my .02
    -What We Have, We Hold-

I know it reads like we are being negative about our trucks. We aren't, people are just trying to give you a realistic assesment of them so you can enter our world with your eyes open and not be surprised.

I drove mine as a daily driver with the stock drivetrain for almost 2 years. I only had 12 miles round trip a day though and most of that was in town so it didn't really slow down my drive compared to other vehicles.

Look at it this way. A stock M715 in good mechanical condition will do things off road that will leave your jaw on the ground. It will also function amazingly well on the street up to about 45 mph for hours on end. Your personal comfort is the only problem if you have a problem with being hot and your backside numb that is.

Expecting it to be as comfortable as your YJ will leave you dissapointed. So will expecting it to drive down the interstate like your YJ. It isn't and it won't. Also, keep in mind that the Dana 70/60 axles are 1967 versions of those axles. Think brand new Dana 44 for strength comparison.

Now that you have been warned and lessoned. Welcome to the madness. Go buy it and start learning.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

ALL OF THE ABOVE!!!!!!! That said, buy it, you'll like it! I wouldn't want it as a daily driver, if it was my ONLY way of geting around. It IS 30 + years old! But 'THE LOOK' is worth it. My,.02.

to make it a daily driver, you will spend a lot of time and money on it doing so and if you have good mechanical skills, you can make a truck that will definately turn heads every where you go and get you anywhere offroad that you want to go too. ive whee,ed my 725 around at 2 fe,s now and Ive got 2-715's to work on next ro get roadworthy as my original plans for them changed

Again, thanks for the input guys. Ive got a GM 14 bolt laying around, a '79 350 I pulled from my last project ('84 K10 with 40' Gumbo Monster Mudders-remember those?) and can get a TH400 on the cheap and throw a towing kit in it. But then I think, I can find a 73-87 Chevy K30 with all that already in it. But I'd be giving up my jeep roots! Oh jeez, so much to think about and so little time. Thanks for all the info. Jerry

drive slower dude. so what if it takes you 10 minutes longer. no one says you must drive 45 mph or else. think of it as a change of life truck.
    ian
    Formerly 1967 M715 #13889

Not feasible for me. I do enjoy taking out my 715, but I always want more. I'm not ready for a life change myself. As far as the Jeep roots. I'm doing a hotter amc 360, t18 and D20. I might eventually go with a sm465 and 205, but that's what I have to work with. Only things not being Jeep is the axles.
    D60's front and rear due to servicablity and wheel pattern.
    Quote Originally Posted by IAN_M715 View Post
    drive slower dude. so what if it takes you 10 minutes longer. no one says you must drive 45 mph or else. think of it as a change of life truck.