Thread: Another drivetrain thread!

Default Another drivetrain thread!

Ok, I did the google search, I spent 2 hours reading threads from 2004. There was a Nuke_Rollie that had a 6.2 on a chebby chasis, said he would talk about his rig, but hasn't been on since 2004. I've read Tacoma's and Dougs ideas.

I have a friend that is a diesel nut and gave me his running non turbo 6.2L out of his blazer. I love the idea of putting it in the M715 after a rebuild. I have another friend that burned up an 80's suburban with a th400 and a 208 t-case. I know I could put it all together, but haven't read a thing about 208s. 205 is the one to have, but I don't. One guy told me that the only problem with a 208 is the size, but it could be clocked (rotated) and shielded to keep it from gettin trashed.

I've read lots of request for pictures of Bcowan's, and earlier zoners, but could not find any. I liked the idea of swapping frames and axles to get the brakes, steering etc., but I would like to keep the frame (great shape) with the ID number stamped in.

Enough background, why haven't I seen much about the 208 in the zone?

208s are okay, but a 205 is better(much stronger). 208 is chain drive where the 205 is gear drive. Only plus of the 208 over a 205 is the reduction ratio in low. Keep in mind that the axles under the burb could be as small as a 10 bolt front and 12 bolt rear...no clue what your buddies has...anyhow, that combo is "weak" for any sort of heavy use.

Oilcan has a 6.2 in his stock framed/axled/geared truck. A guy could always swap in CUCV axles at a later date too.

How do you plan to use your truck?
    This post is closed-captioned for the hearing impaired.

The info that you couldnt find by Rollie and others was lost whn the server crashed....we could only recover from December 2003 to May 2004...so we lost about 2 full years.

I believe some of the info at least is in the archives linked from the Manuals link up top...the 2 boards before this one and the one that crashed...
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

Default Rollie's truck

I bought Rollie's M715. It has a 84 or 85 Chevy frame I forget which. In the rear it has a 14 bolt full floater. The front axle was a heavy dana 44 but Rollie told me the outers would tear up when stuck in mud. So I have a 85 dana 60 for the front axle to install. The axle ratio is 4:10 and runs 70 mph without any trouble fully loaded with building material. The motor is a 6.2 turbo diesel with a 700r4 4 speed automatic. The truck has hydroboost power steering/power brakes and a GM tilt column. Rollie sold it with a hard top and soft top. I need to do a major patch job on the firewall and remove the the chevy firewall and tunnel. I think what Rollie was trying to do was insert a partial chevy firewall into the stock firewall. This way he wouldn't have to build a lot of special brackets for the steering column, power brakes, fuel filter, etc. My guess is that he was trying to get the truck running as soon as possible. The 6.2 will fit inside the stock engine compartment without touching the firewall and should be a fairly easy swap. But make no mistake this motor weighs a good bit so use a good sturdy engine hoist. Rollie removed the entire wiring harness from the donor truck without cutting so all i have to do is remove unnessacry circuits. All in all if you are trying to make the truck into a daily driver a frame swap like this will ease your maintenace and parts availability problems.

I plan on using it for occasional daily driving with more off-road and medium hauling. Don't plan on going cross country unless it's on a trailer, so speed is not an issue for long distance. Thanks for the info hewl, would you by chance have any photos passed on or taken any yourself?

No pictures yet. Been battling the never ending creeping crud lately. probably post some pictures later if I don't die.

There's really nothing wrong with a 208 except the slipyoke, and you may be able to use the back half of a Jeep/Dodge 208 to get a bolt-on yoke. They used them on the CUCV. The lower low is nice, too.