Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 460 vs 454

Default 460 vs 454

Hey guys, I started getting everything ready to put in the 454 in my jeep, but my best friend just gave me a running 1976 lincoln continental. It comes with a 460 and a c6 transmision. I have the 454, but just the block and i would have to buy everything from a 700transmision, intake, carb, alternator, water pump, etc. The 460 is complete, but would be rebuilt as well as the c6. The Ford is the better option for me because I don't have many funds, but will it be very difficult to put it in the M715? When preparing for the 454 i found adapters and motor mounts and detailed instructions. Can I get them for the blue oval stuff? What kind of mods (ie. torque converter) for the tranny? Thanks for all of the help!

Sell that F%$d rubbish(if someone is willing to buy it) and build the 454.

Here we go...

Agreed. Sell it.

454's are cheaper to build, too.

You've got an complete, running engine/transmission/starter/alternator/wiring harness/etc vs a short block? Go with what you have, the 460. all you've got right now for a BBC is the template to mount it and you don't even have the trans to do that with. If you're serious about spending minimal funds, this is a no-brainer, do the 460.

If you're short on funds and the engine needs attention beyond a tune-up, you can re-ring the block(new main/rod/cam bearings, new rings(use cast, the only rings to use on a re-ring), lap the valves, new gaskets/seals. Options: new cam/lifters /valve springs.

I've done this multiple times and been very happy with the results each time.

If the engine runs OK, put it in there as is. When you don't have much extra money to spend, it's a whole lot more satisfying to drive around in your project than look at it sitting in the driveway. I've been there, and I was/am happy I didn't require myself to wait on all the things I wanted but instead made do with what I had and thus had a driveable vehicle.

If you really want the BBC, you can then save all your pennies up and scrounge the myriad of parts for years while you get to drive around in a powerful M715(the thing had a 230 for cryin' out loud, you would be doubling the displacement).

The re-ring can be done in a weekend. The C6 is a strong transmission and not expensive to rebuild.

I built this for less than $1000(including vehicle acquisition). Then spent slightly less than $500 re-ringing(deluxe re-ring) the engine about 6 months later. This engine(IHC 345) had massive amounts of internal rust and a broken valve spring is what led me to re-ring it. That was 8 years ago and it still runs strong, no smoke, great oil pressure, etc.

However, if you must rely on a swap kit, I guess you have to go with whatever you can get a kit for. I have no idea what kits are out there for M715 powertrain swaps. That said, kits are generally not the 'limited funds' route to building a vehicle.

Ken

As much as I hate Ford and everything that the evil empire stands for, you already have it. Why not use it? Another 'zoner once posted that mounts are as simple as using a set of mid 70's truck mounts for a 390 and redrilling one hole to line up on your block. They are then supposed to bolt directly to the Kaiser frame mount. IMO chevy is the better engine, but since you are $ restricted I'd use the brand X.

One of our members put a 460 in his M715 using stock 390 motor mounts...he ovaled one of the mount holes and the rest fit.
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

I had an 86 Ford F350 crew cab 4X4 with the 460 for a few years.
    I sold it to a friend in town a 3 or 4 years ago and it is sill running strong.
    Had no complaints about that engine, ran smooth and gobs of power to move that big truck along.

By the way, many mid 70's Lincolns used a 9" rear axle with disc brakes. They also used a 5 on 5 bolt circle which is the same as a chebby pickup. So don't forget to pull the rear axle.

Brute...jinx, you owe me a coke.

Thing is, you do NOT have a running engine. You have a place to start. I was big in Lincolns when I was in my early 20's. Loved Mark IV's and V's, and really loved the Towne Coupes of that period. Had several of each.

One of the first things I learned(other than the fact they won't hold an alignment) is that the valve stem seals rot, dribble thru the excessively large drain holes in the head, get picked up by the oil pump, lock that up and snap the rod to the distributor, effectively turning your engine off...for a long time(super annoying to have one just shut down on the highway 60 miles from home on a date). Not certain what the deal is, but I rarely had this problem in trucks but had it in every single Lincoln I had after a hundredK miles. Last couple I had I just did the work before I even drove them.

So, you're going to pull this one down, put in valve stem seals, oil pump and pickup, timing chain and associated gaskets(and might as well do bearings while you're down there and valve springs while on top) and hey, might as well get that water pump while it's off...But you won't have to do rings and heads at least... Or you could just stick it in the truck and hope maybe someone else along the last 30 years already did it all, cause it's a pain doing that work with the engine in a car and I suspect it'll be an even bigger pain doing it once it's in a 715.

Sell it and build the 454. It looks better, sounds better, costs less and you'll appreciate having that OD tranny when you're done, too.